Thread: Track to Main Beach camping area on Straddie?

Track to Main Beach camping area on Straddie?

Hi all,

Planning a trip to Straddie for Easter and we get off the car ferry at a bit after high tide on Thursday night which isn't ideal. Getting to the main beach camping area via the beach looks like it is out unless we wait until around low tide very early morning and I'm not too keen on that.

Is there an inland track to the Main Beach camping area we could use? I have a had a look on Google Earth and it looks like there might be some tracks but I am not sure if they go through the swamp into the back of the camping area.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Re: Track to Main Beach camping area on Straddie?

Have you already booked camping permits?

Sounds like it is going to be a bit crowded as not many spots are accessible http://www.straddiecamping.com.au/

I don't believe there are inland tracks to the campsites. I've driven up and down the sites a fair bit (not all of them though) and haven't seen any tracks apart from those back to the beach.

Thanks for that. No haven't booked yet. I looked on Thursday and bookings were open then but looks like it will be touch and go now. I'll have to check their site regularly and see what happens.

No other tracks to these campsites that I am aware of. What you are seeing on Google would fire breaks or the old minning roads that were in use when the sandmine was down the pin end of the island.
    Cheers Axl