Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mounting Trout Fish Jaws Teeth

Re: Mounting Trout Fish Jaws Teeth

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Murf they look great!!!

I like the idea of the Shellite as some of my jaws now have gone a bit yellow. The Areldite seems to give up after several years. I've had to re-apply the jaw to the backboard. These were painted though, so I don't know if it will be the same laquared.

The jaws come up a treat!!!!
    when I glued the jaws onto the backing board I drilled a 6 to 8mm hole probably 3 to 4mm deep to really make it bond to the board, these were big jaws so a hole size to suit the dob of glue needed was my theory

thanks Heath and everyone for the comments

cheers Murf

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    when I glued the jaws onto the backing board I drilled a 6 to 8mm hole probably 3 to 4mm deep to really make it bond to the board, these were big jaws so a hole size to suit the dob of glue needed was my theory

cheers Murf
    He's a smart bloke that Murf, thinks of everything. Never had anyone in the workshop like that before. Rare you would have to say............

You're right on the money there Jack, I did it with a set of mako jaws about 10 years ago.

Just elevate the jaws a few inches off the ground in a dry spot, cover with a fine mesh that is secured to the ground (allows the ants in but stops bigger critters like cats from carrying them off).

Three days later, (might have been earlier but that's when I checked properly) they were as clean as a whisker with just a feint sea-salty smell.

Didn't need an ants nest - ants figured it out themselves. But wish I had the other info which Ausfisher provided. Great job Murf. Gotta admit, I didn't pick them as a set of trout jaws - looked too awesome so a plaque as also suggested, with a weight as well, sounds like a treat idea. Great job.

What a unique presentaion, totally awesome, I got a trout on the weekend but not big enough to mount and as I am trying to get rid of the ants I have I think I will have to use your method when I get a decent one. A mate of mine did try to do a marlin head using ants except the foxes got to it first.

Had a late thought, I do have some old ironbark railway sleepers which I might try as a backing board.

Thanks for that, great post. I'll do up some spanish mack jaws this year sometime and post the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    Thanks for that, great post. I'll do up some spanish mack jaws this year sometime and post the results.
    I want to do some decent Spanish and Wahoo jaws too but the way this weather has been I will be lucky to catch any this season never mind a half decent one

luckily our spanish season hasn't really started up here in NQ, around Jul-Oct is the best imo for up here, can't wait...

I want to do some decent Spanish and Wahoo jaws too but the way this weather has been I will be lucky to catch any this season never mind a half decent one

hey guys ive taken a real interest in this thread and with my oldest boy being obsessed with shark jaws i have kept a couple small fish to give this a crack.

i have 2 skulls cleand and ready to bleach - 1 snapper and 1 school mack. The ants and maggots have done their job and they now look very cool.
    Just wondering what ratios you use if any for the bleach solution and the shellite?

cheers Dean
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    hey guys ive taken a real interest in this thread and with my oldest boy being obsessed with shark jaws i have kept a couple small fish to give this a crack.

i have 2 skulls cleand and ready to bleach - 1 snapper and 1 school mack. The ants and maggots have done their job and they now look very cool.
    Just wondering what ratios you use if any for the bleach solution and the shellite?

cheers Dean
    I just gave a bit of a soak in the Shelite and cleaned with the wifes toothbrush (old one haha)

as for the bleach solution I went looking for the ratio that Heath said in the mag but couldn't find the mag and my memory is non existent, will see Heath today and ask if he remembers

cheers Murf

thanks for the ideas murf. I finished the little mack jaw. When the ants ate away at the flesh they also removed the ligaments holding the bones together so ended up with it all in pieces. So kept the 6 main bones, scrubbed with toothbrush and bit of kero they came up nice and smooth just a bit brown in colour. Next the fiddly job of super gluing it together, waiting til dry then left it in bleach / water solution o/night. Check this morning its Started to turn white so ive left it in the bleach for the day. Bit of fun looks pretty cool , gonna do the snapper next
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

my memory is non existent, will see Heath today and ask if he remembers

cheers Murf
    Did you remember to ask him.........?

Hi guys,

If I put a set of jaws onto a bullants nest, how long do I have before the jaw will turn yellow? I was thinking a couple days on a nest and they'll be squeaky clean, then a scrub with shellite? Thoughts?

ok answered my own question reading a bit more, sorry! also, what's the bleach ratio anyone?!?!

can't remember bleach ratio and have read that it makes the bones brittle or chalky??? not sure

Would peroxide whiten? just asking never looked into it

cheers Murf

Maybe a brush with some Colgate would whiten them up...