Thread: Offshore shark encounter on video

Offshore shark encounter on video

Not me, or anybody else that I know personally, but this vid has been doing the rounds on the kayak sites recently and thought I might share it here for guys thinking about getting in a yak and heading offshore.

Re: Offshore shark encounter on video

Would have had to clean the brown stuff off the yak after that trip I think.

That shark was keen, it looked like it was going for a shot at the title.. best move he ever made getting out of there.

Regards
    Honda

One of a number of reasons why I don't do "Off-shore" in the yaks.

Cheers,
    Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

Nice fish. Looked more like it had a quick squiz to see if any offal/caught fish was around. I don't think it was interested in old mate at all. Looked pretty relaxed.

Cuzza

Looked very relaxed, more than likely someones pet. Very rarely hear about shark attacks in WA or at least none this week. LOL. Smart man leaveing it alone and getting out of there.

Cheers Mick.

if he had of caught a fish the shark probably would have left with a full belly.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzamundi View Post
    Nice fish. Looked more like it had a quick squiz to see if any offal/caught fish was around. I don't think it was interested in old mate at all. Looked pretty relaxed.

Cuzza
    Apparently it hit the yak a number of times, also made passes close enough for old mate to hit it with the paddle and pole that his camera was mounted on, this did not deter it in the slightest.

Quote from the guy in the vid about his experience posted on another site:

"Hi, firstly I'd like to clear up there was no brown stains, luckily I went before I left home. Throwing a couple of Herring that were bleeding through the mirage well was a borderline call, the rest of the bait went inside the hatch, thought maybe if I throw them far enough over my shoulder I could slip away under sail, at the time figured I needed something to distract him. Seemed like she was trying to work out which end was the head and once on the move could be a giveaway. It lasted a long 10 minutes and only turned the camera on half way through. Tried poking her near the eyes with the paddle and then with the camera but not in them hoping she would take off, didn't flinch. Knew then had to get out of there with birds now circling low overhead and the Mako getting friendlier. The heart was racing, had the hands and elbows tucked in after she hit the yak the first time I tried to release the anchor, never considered retrieving it, bearly worth a tank of fuel. Also there was no way I was going back to get it so just kept float and reel. At 3 to 3.5 metres it was defiantly a case of the hunter becoming the hunted, beautiful but unnerving creatures.
    Was a relief to be back on shore and plan on buying a shark shield.
    Cheers, Grant. "