Thread: ideal tackle for yepoon

ideal tackle for yepoon

hi hoping some one can help me out,me and a few mates are planning a trip up to yepoon in june,iv never fished in qld before,was wondering what size tackle you blokes use around the outer reefs,we love trolling lures down here but up there looks like bait fishing the reefs mite be the go,
    also if any body could recommend a place to stay that is boat freindly would be good aswell
    ps tips wouldnt go astray either if yous could help us in that department,
    cheers

Re: ideal tackle for yepoon

Mate not necessarily just for Yeppoon but near Cairns is the same sort of fishing, large reefies macks etc. I'd recommend any good quality spinning reel or overhead that can hold a couple hundred metres of 50-80lb braid. I use a Daiwa BG35 overhead with 80lb braid on it, rod is a Shimano, can't remember exactly which one sorry but didn't cost the earth, it also doubles as a nice trolling outfit. Other trolling rod (and spare bottombashing rod for emergencies only as the reel is heavy) is a TLD-25 with 65lb braid on a 24kg Ugly Stick. Lastly for throwing poppers etc I've got a supercheap Penn 950ssm on a Penn rod, came as a combo for under $200 from memory, that has 65lb braid on it too, just because I bought a big spool of 65lb. I know it isn't the best outfit and will fail me one day but it was cheap and is good for a few years while I convince my wife the benefits of buying a stella

Trace line around 100lb is a good place to start, some use heavier some use lighter. Only use good quality heavyduty swivels etc, they shouldn't be a lighter rating than the setup you're fishing, I match them to my trace line (i.e. 100lb). 8-12oz snapper leads are the go, make them up or you'll have to re-mortgage to afford a heap at the tackle shop.

For mack lures only bother buying Xrap 30s and Halco 190dd lures, as macks like both of them and use about 1-2' of 140lb single strand wire, not multi-strand and not straight mono as you'll lose some lures and macks don't mind hitting lures with the single strand on them.

Last trip I stayed at the big-4 park on the beach, lovely spot but kept everything locked up anyway, plenty of room to swing a cat or park a boat next to your accommodation. Cheers.

There's a house at 3 Lyndall DR , close to the ramp which would suit. Elders real estate have it on their books. google them.

As for tackle, JT lives there and knows all about tackle so it would be worth asking either him or Extreme Booney for the right tips.

thanks nicko and jack,great info appreciated,you have put me on the right track,the lures was handy to know,and that house jack ill give them a call for sure,
    i have a shimana tekoda spooled with 25kg so that reel will come in handy,also got a diawa exceller 4500,hope this stands up to it,im going to buy a couple more outfits to take and use these for a back up,but the cash is drying up im waiting for a new boat to arrive and that has cost me shit loads,so if anybody could recommend a couple of reels [mid range$$] id be happy to hear about them aswell
    thanks again

even better digger if you can pop in to aido at the secret spot just behind the BP as you drive into yeppoon and he can let you know whats happening and where and has a good range of gear/bait as well. cheers

thanks benji,ill check him out for sure,maybe he can give a mark or 2 if i spend enough $$ there,id say that will be on the cards,i have a major tackle ediction
    cheers

getting abit more serious on this trip up north,but looks like me mates want to fish 1770,was just wondering if the boat ramp here can be used at all times of the tide,and also just checked my sounder and found the fairfax group of islands of 1770 can theses island be fished looks like alot of no go zones out there and how far are they from shore,thanks for any any info will e much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by digger1 View Post
    getting abit more serious on this trip up north,but looks like me mates want to fish 1770,was just wondering if the boat ramp here can be used at all times of the tide,and also just checked my sounder and found the fairfax group of islands of 1770 can theses island be fished looks like alot of no go zones out there and how far are they from shore,thanks for any any info will e much appreciated
    If you are referring to the ramp at 1770 then yes it is an all tide ramp. Most people who go out from here fish either the Bunker or Capricorn group of reefs. Fairfax Island is in the Bunker group. The bottom of the Bunkers is approx 60km from 1770 and your looking at travelling 80km for the bottom of the Capricorns.
    Can these islands be fished you ask? There is a reason why the biggest get together of Ausfishers every year happens here. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...r-1770-M-amp-G.
    Hope this helps.
    Ozy
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

thanks ozy,great info,ill check that ausfish thread out mate,cheers

Also do a search on 1770 on here mate and there will be more info than you can read.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

thanks ozy just checked that thread out lol looks like that would be a good week,i mite have to organize that for next year
    iv done a search,just starting to get through abit of info,looks like a top spot out there,i cant wait to get up there,
    thanks again ozy owe you one mate
    http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/ca...ays/about.html
    Last edited by digger1; 18-08-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: left something out