Thread: Leslie Harrison Dam redlands Qld. to open for Rec use

Leslie Harrison Dam redlands Qld. to open for Rec use

From latest Redlands times.
    You little ripper its only 13ks away.Never thought I would live to see it.
    Cheers
    Ray
    THE state government will overturn 40 years of tradition when it opens up Capalaba's Leslie Harrison Dam for recreational water sports and fishing later this year.

Energy and Water Supply Minister Mark McArdle made the announcement on a whistle-stop visit to Redland and the dam on Tuesday.

Mr McArdle said he could not fix an opening date until after completion of a state government review on the future of water sports on all state dams.

"I think the idea of using the dam for recreational purposes and non-motorised water sports is an excellent idea that will add another bow to tourism in this area," he said.

"I'd also like to see the dam stocked with fish for recreational anglers and with the council and the community, this will be a success."

Members of Wynnum Redlands Canoe Club and Queensland Canoeing hoped the dam would one day become an international kayaking venue.

Wynnum Redlands Canoe Club's David Bicknell said a one-off kayaking event on the dam on December 30 proved opening up the dam would be a fillip for tourism.

Access to the dam would be on Mount Gravatt-Capalaba Road, about 500m south of Brightview Street.

Mr McArdle refused to comment on claims toxic emissions from a proposed power plant at Mount Cotton would fall into the dam's catchment area as the development's planning application was in the Planning and Environment Court.

Re: Leslie Harrison Dam redlands Qld. to open for Rec use

Great news.. Not sure if all the surrounding land owners will it like but! And whatever they stock I hope it loves to eat tilapia! Next step open up a section of it for motorised recreation.

Should also open it near the section off mt gravatt capalaba rd near geldart rd. always looks good driving past there.

what about the end of howlett rd capalaba theres enough space for a boat ramp there

The place they propose appears to be nice and protected. Main thing is to get it up and running and expand later.
    Cheers
    Ray
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Mr McArdle said he could not fix an opening date until after completion of a state government review on the future of water sports on all state dams"

It's great news but before you all get too exited, how long has the government review been going on!!!

" Mr McArdle said he could not fix an opening date until after completion of a state government review on the future of water sports on all state dams."
    This is a new one on me unless he is talking about thr ongoing SEQ water review of recreational use of their dams which has been going on for around 4 years.
    Rumor is that SEQ water have been instructed to have it done by end of july.
    My main concern is that it will be strangled by red taps and lack of funding like a lot of other government proposals that never see the light of day.
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    "Mr McArdle said he could not fix an opening date until after completion of a state government review on the future of water sports on all state dams"

It's great news but before you all get too exited, how long has the government review been going on!!!
    Must be getting well over 3 years now Luc, I talked to a guy working on it back then, now I see his position has been wound up in the Qld Gov job cuts. But I hope Ray is right about July. What do you recon are the chances of a yearly rec use fee that will cover all SEQWater lakes, just so anglers can cover the expense of looking after the maintenence of parks, swings, and picnic facilities for day trippers as is the case now at Somerset and Wivenhoe with the $15 a day/$100 a year boating fee. Of course canoes will be free as is the case now at Som & Wiv.
    My concerns would be if it's electric only that would rule out around 95% of boating anglers.
    If you're allowed on with electric but need to remove your petrol outboard off the stern that wipes out even more anglers.

But anyway at least it is positive news Ray

Cheers

my guess is they wont even allow electric motors. i am considering one of those old school water bikes the trike kind with the huge wheels lol

Non motorised. Sucks