Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Llowrance geofencing

Lowrance geofencing

Hi all - Just for info this statement is on a usa (exports to aus) website that i just looked at -

" Dear Customers ...

We are not selling Lowrance products for the time being.

Lowrance have recently implemented their Geofencing technology into the new units (via a software update) to limit the functionality of US marketed equipment. Geofencing is a GIS term whereby software identifies a region on a map. Lowrance have a geofence programmed into the units that identifies (via GPS) where the unit is, and if the unit is an American standard unit, and the current location is outside of 30 degrees West and International Dateline East of the Americas, the unit will revert to US imperial units only and flash a message on the screen continuously saying "This unit is not set up in this area please contact authorized dealer".

Other brands are not subject to Geofencing."

I reckon Hummingbird, Furuno, Raymarine etc must be ecstatic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Lowrance geofencing

geofencing has been around for a while. i recall being notified of it back in 2011.
    at least navico is trying.. sorta.. to help out us local dealers ..........i wont lie. its always kinda nice when a customer comes in with an imported unit and ask "if i can make it work" for him

Re: Llowrance geofencing

1. Producing the intended outcome then.

Lowrance with their geofencing and no service on their units making them a throwaway after warranty remind me of NAB when they said they were doing me a favor when doubling their fees.

yep one suspects geofencing is not necessarily good for any of lowrances aus end users price wise - but i would guess there aus dealer network are quite cheerful about it - i know i have bought my last lowrance unit while geofencing is in place - not because i object to buying in aus as i usually do anyway if the price is ok but because i object to having my choice of a purchasing option removed

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Same for me ... will never look at a geofenced model anything.

Cheapest place in world to buy is keough marine anyway so no biggy in that respect.
    Well I for one am pissed if I drive my boat around the world my gps won't work properly.
    Are you sure this is correct sounds silly to me that a GPS system can't be used all over the world. As this is what they are designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by CATchin'Em View Post
    Cheapest place in world to buy is keough marine anyway so no biggy in that respect.
    Well I for one am pissed if I drive my boat around the world my gps won't work properly.
    Are you sure this is correct sounds silly to me that a GPS system can't be used all over the world. As this is what they are designed for.
    Lowrance not really in the cruising yacht market. far too unreliable for that!

I emailed digital oasis about a lowrance fishfinder gps combo they have on ebay.au asking
    Is the unit geofenced ?
    will it work 100% inaustralia gps and fishfinder?
    does it come withpower cables and transducer?
    Do you sell a mapcard for australia or north east coast of aust?

their reply

Dear philliplucky,
    We are a US retailer,meaning we can only sell US units. It will work with the following restrictions-
    All products advertised and sold in the United Statesoperate in English Language, Feet/Fathoms, Fahrenheit and/or US Maps. Locallanguages, Metric product and/or local maps are only available through yourlocal authorized distributor.
    Note: International(Metric) & Domestic (Feet) Units: Units purchased in the United States orCanada cannot be converted from feet to meters by the factory nor by the localauthorized international distributor.
    We cannot load mapsof your country before shipping. You will need to purchase the appropriate mapfor your country and load the map using your computer.
    Thank you & have a great day.
    - thedigitaloasis

so they are saying it will work but only in feet,inchs,Fahrenheit
    what’s your take and experience on it
    I thought lowrance were gofenced?

Wink Re: Llowrance geofencing

How about we all chip in and buy one to test, I won't tell my missus if you don't

ok cos. nobody seems to have an answer yet

lowrance HDS series ARE geofenced
    the sounder will work. but in US imperial only
    the GPS will NOT work. even with local navionics maps

lowrance elite and mark series arnt geofenced

now why i said that as a lowrance retailer. who knows... however when a US unit has issues "and they will..cos... they are lowrance" aus retailers arnt... ment... to aid in fixing. and navico australia def wont help. so that international warranty is true.... you just have to send it international post back to the US for repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post

now why i said that as a lowrance retailer. who knows... however when a US unit has issues "and they will..cos... they are lowrance" aus retailers arnt... ment... to aid in fixing. and navico australia def wont help. so that international warranty is true.... you just have to send it international post back to the US for repairs.
    My understanding is that Navico/ Lowrance don't service their units here and simply replace if in warranty and if its out of warranty, bad luck buy another.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    ok cos. nobody seems to have an answer yet

lowrance HDS series ARE geofenced
    the sounder will work. but in US imperial only
    the GPS will NOT work. even with local navionics maps

lowrance elite and mark series arnt geofenced

thanks choc for the clarifications and some people take a bit of convincing i guess - if you want to buy a lowrance hds then have to buy in aus to avoid geofencing issues and maybe a good place to buy is off chocolatemoose
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    My understanding is that Navico/ Lowrance don't service their units here and simply replace if in warranty and if its out of warranty, bad luck buy another.
    maybe in extreme cases they will replace whole units, but a lot of units i hgave sent back, they do repair. mostly they change the "main board" or gps arials or card sockets they are the parts that seem to stuff up the most for my customers
    humminbirds have power and gps issues
    garmins..ive only snt 1 back. that had a touch screen calibration issue
    ummm

but i mean they are electronics. how many ipods broke 1 day after their warranty ended

1. Now this is not an issue solely and wholly limited to Lowrance marine electronics.

2. This issue is also not solely due to the actions of the end user.