Thread: Small block 350 chev into a Landcruiser

Small block 350 chev into a Landcruiser

Hi

Has anyone on here put a 350 (carbie) into a Cruiser or Patrol? I am seriously considering putting one into my FJ73 to replace the original 3F which is getting a bit tired.

The boys over in the States do it a fair bit but I would like some feedback from closer to home.

Fuel usage, gearing, etc, etc.

PS: The motor i'm looking at is a 330hp Vortec.

Opinions welcome27112011001.jpg27112011001.jpg

Cheers

VS

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Small block 350 chev into a Landcruiser

I would be leaning more towards the LSx series of motors rather than a carbie motor. Not too much more in it. Or look into a HD-T, HD-FT or HD-FTE diesel.

Alot will depend on if you're doing the conversion yourself or not. Do you really wish to spend (quite) a bit on a leaf sprung MWB or would you be better off purchasing a later model coil sprung 4B, 80 or GQ if you're wanting an ecenomical purchase.

Cheers
    Corry
    Cheers
    Corry

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

not as big as your wagon but ive got a fj40 with a little 302 windsor in it, fits no probs even with a bigger radiator so a 350 wont be an issue. only has a four speed manual with a two barrel holley and its pretty thirsty on road - shocking off it lol.also its only the small fuel tank so not much of a range but its only a toy anyways and i dont tow the boat with it.

im sure there was a thread on here recently where a guy put a holden 5.7 into a patrol and kept all the injection system, a/c and everything. awesome conversion.

cheers ryan

Did a vortec with aftermarket ecm into a land cruiser years ago with std gbox and diff, also improved a carby 350 into a patrol which was a nightmare due to a shoddy conversion and ended up with fancy fuel injection on it. Also with std gbox and diff.

I would definitely go for a LSX the generation of motor with std ecm and harness. Also over engineer the he'll out of the engine mount brackets and don't skimp on cooling.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk HD
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

we put an injected 304 (holden) into one that same as your rig coupled it up to the standard toyota auto (which gave up the ghost evetually) but it used to tow our 6 metre plate centre cab no worries. we shyed away from the small block chev as we were told the 304 was a better fit, not sure if that is true or not.

I forgot another mate of mine had a 400 small block in his chevy blazer to tow around his 680 haines, he replaced that engine with a vortec and he was pretty disapointed with it (lack of torque) , if you are going to do it I would be buying a 6litre (ls series) or stroking a 304.

Check what your going to have to do pollution control wise before looking at a carby setup.

Carbie would also make it impossible to get Sequential Gas Injection down the track too...I have SGI on my Discovery 2 V8 and love it. Better than petrol and less than half the running costs - virtually no less MPG on it.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing