Thread: Ignorance could be costly

Ignorance could be costly

If you’re planning a fishing trip across the border, remember to check the state rules to avoid an unexpected fine.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) district officer Coby Walker said fishers travelling interstate needed to fish responsibly and know the rules of the area they intend to fish.

"Fishing rules and regulations can be different across state borders, but ignorance is no excuse,” he said.

"Authorities not only conduct regular patrols of border areas, but also covert operations to ensure fishers are complying with the rules and investigate reports of illegal fishing.”

Queensland and New South Wales fisheries officers work collaboratively throughout the border regions to ensure effective monitoring of all areas.

“Officers who are stationed near the border are authorised under both Queensland and New South Wales legislation,” said Mr Walker.

"With such large areas to patrol, teamwork from both agencies certainly makes the job easier.”

Authorities on both sides of the border rely on the support of the public to help protect our fishing resources for future generations.

"People who suspect illegal fishing are urged to do the right thing and report it as soon as possible,” said Mr Walker.

Information on illegal fishing in NSW should be reported to the Fisher’s Watch Phone Line on 1800 043 536 and in Queensland to the Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116.

For more information on NSW fishing rules go to www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au or find out more about Queensland fishing rules at www.fisheries.qld.gov.au

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Re: Ignorance could be costly

Biggest hassle is having to follow NSW fishing Rules in Qld when fishing the border rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Biggest hassle is having to follow NSW fishing Rules in Qld when fishing the border rivers.

Tell us more, please?

If you are fishing the border rivers from Queensland then you still need a NSW licence. NSW and QLD rules apply.
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

Hard to keep your nose clean in the Tweed. Lots of variance in the local jurisdiction. I'm surprised they don't stand firm on NSW laws.

The only ignorance I see in the border region is the way some officers interpret the rules differently to suit their own personal opinion and not what's written in legislation,already had officers at my place at least four times through cross border bullshit and not once was I doing the wrong thing yet it doesn't stop the harassment caused each time you have to prove your innocence, though down from me got raided by a handful of officers through one of my checks I guess he'd been illegally selling so they thought since he owned a seafood truck yet they found nothing to book him with either go figure.

Only issue I ever have is forgetting my NSW license had expired, but you can get em online and I got the old Iphone for that one.

Which is very handy to be able to do.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheries Queensland View Post
    If you’re planning a fishing trip across the border, remember to check the state rules to avoid an unexpected fine.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) district officer Coby Walker said fishers travelling interstate needed to fish responsibly and know the rules of the area they intend to fish.

"Fishing rules and regulations can be different across state borders, but ignorance is no excuse,” he said.

"Authorities not only conduct regular patrols of border areas, but also covert operations to ensure fishers are complying with the rules and investigate reports of illegal fishing.”

Queensland and New South Wales fisheries officers work collaboratively throughout the border regions to ensure effective monitoring of all areas.

“Officers who are stationed near the border are authorised under both Queensland and New South Wales legislation,” said Mr Walker.

"With such large areas to patrol, teamwork from both agencies certainly makes the job easier.”

Authorities on both sides of the border rely on the support of the public to help protect our fishing resources for future generations.

"People who suspect illegal fishing are urged to do the right thing and report it as soon as possible,” said Mr Walker.

Information on illegal fishing in NSW should be reported to the Fisher’s Watch Phone Line on 1800 043 536 and in Queensland to the Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116.

For more information on NSW fishing rules go to www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au or find out more about Queensland fishing rules at www.fisheries.qld.gov.au

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).
    thanks, will keep in mind but i have a question with regard to fishing on border rivers. So what happens when one law from QLD and another from NSW differ? What law applies? What happens if i have a 34cm Mangrove Jack in my esky on the Tweed?

Question Re: Ignorance could be costly

Take your limit of jennies/jacks (IN NSW) ,wave your NSW-RFL....bob's your uncle !!
    easy-peasy , let the "law" determine your point-of-capture WAS supposedly in Qld ,IF your home address is in Qld....just onus on you to prove you "were" fishing/crabbing NSW-waters..
    Important: abide by NSW-rules , when in NSW
    jmo.....RecFishos AREN'T the lcd
    lcd?....LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR...jmo

I fail to see how QLD rules can apply on the Tweed River in anyway way. It is in NSW. It is not the border, it is south of the border, all of it and its associated areas. The border starts at Point Danger and runs down Boundary street, then south west on Thompson Street to Razor Back Mountain, then west to adjacent to the John Flynn Hospital. It cuts the Gold Coast airport Runway in half at an angle. Have a good look at Google Earth.

When I worked at the airport, a bushfire south of the runway burnt for almost a day, QLD firies wouldnt attend because it was in NSW and NSW wouldnt attend because they had to go into QLD to get there! Airport firefighters eventually extinguished it.