Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got a V6 diesel navara?

Anyone got a V6 diesel navara?

They got me sucked in with the 1% finance deal. Means I keep the money in the bank working for me. My troublesome d40 is now 5 years on, and I would really like a 3l diesel for towing the boats.

So tell me, if you own what is the good and bad?

Re: Anyone got a V6 diesel navara?

My boss spoke to a nissan dealer last week re the 1% deal. Was told if he had cash or pre-approved finance he could have $7000 off the price but not with the 1%. He worked out that he is no better off with the 1% deal and the extra $7000 on the purchase price than if he just went and got finance himself. He was also told that he had to pay it off in 3 years so maybe worth asking some questions when you next speak to them.

Cheers....Terry...

Quote Originally Posted by therapy View Post
    My boss spoke to a nissan dealer last week re the 1% deal. Was told if he had cash or pre-approved finance he could have $7000 off the price but not with the 1%. He worked out that he is no better off with the 1% deal and the extra $7000 on the purchase price than if he just went and got finance himself. He was also told that he had to pay it off in 3 years so maybe worth asking some questions when you next speak to them.

Cheers....Terry...
    I only briefly spoke to the salesman, but its 1% for 3 years. 2% for the 4th year, and I think 4% for the 5th year. I asked him if you can structure it to pay it off in 3 years and apparently that's ok. However even at 2 and 4 %, its probably still worth me keeping the coin in the bank rather than paying up front.

The problem is, they wont give you final figures until you are ready to sigh the contract. I understand why, but its a pain in the arse when you are trying to do the sums.

I will hit them up about the $7k discount though. I am already entitled to the ABN discount. If I have to secure my own finance, its going to be way more than the 1% comparison rate, so probably not worth financing. Would be better off paying cash. I have to see the account this week, so sounds like a good question for them!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    I only briefly spoke to the salesman, but its 1% for 3 years. 2% for the 4th year, and I think 4% for the 5th year. I asked him if you can structure it to pay it off in 3 years and apparently that's ok. However even at 2 and 4 %, its probably still worth me keeping the coin in the bank rather than paying up front.

The problem is, they wont give you final figures until you are ready to sigh the contract. I understand why, but its a pain in the arse when you are trying to do the sums.

I will hit them up about the $7k discount though. I am already entitled to the ABN discount. If I have to secure my own finance, its going to be way more than the 1% comparison rate, so probably not worth financing. Would be better off paying cash. I have to see the account this week, so sounds like a good question for them!
    Make the Contract subject to finance approval. I recently did this with Chrysler when looking to purhcase a new Jeep GC. The salesman told me you can structure your payments to whatever suits you at the time, however the 1-2% finance carrot generally meant your T&C's within the contract weren't great i.e. Deposit amount, length of lease and balloon payment. Basically your only financing 1/3 of the value of the car. 1/3 deposit, 1/3 finanace, and 1/3 balloon payment. Have since not proceeded with the Jeep for other reasons!

3 years ago my wife and I went in to buy an I30 Hyundai outright with no trade.
    The car was 20,000 and as it was to be used for business we intended to borrow the lot and save our own money.
    The amount quoted for repayments was just under $500 per month for 60 months. That was 12% on the agreement that the salesman drew up.

When I went home and put the total amount in a loan calculator it came back at 17%?? It turns out that the extra is for all of the other costs/fees added on. No we didnt take the deal.

Í'd be interested to know if you did the same for 1,2 or 4% what the REAL interest rate is. I see it as a scam not to add the costs/fees in interest as you can't just borrow for the car value only anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm W View Post
    Í'd be interested to know if you did the same for 1,2 or 4% what the REAL interest rate is. I see it as a scam not to add the costs/fees in interest as you can't just borrow for the car value only anyway.
    Depending on the fine print - the "comparison rate" is supposed to be all inclusive of costs/fees and hence why it is typically higher than the nominal rate of interest.

I forgot to reply to Andy's question, My brother has one and loves it. Plenty of grunt for towing.
    Seems to use a bit more fuel than my 2008 BT 50. 1-2 litres to the 100 more doing the same stuff, but 2 different drivers, so its hard to compare.

I have been in one and they are fast to drive certainly not like a diesel. Nice car but the one we bought with extras was the same price as a Landcruiser ute but heaps more comfy. I tend to jump in head first, you sound like your nearly there! its a Nissan and I don't think you can go wrong.
    Living the dream, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    I have been in one and they are fast to drive certainly not like a diesel. Nice car but the one we bought with extras was the same price as a Landcruiser ute but heaps more comfy. I tend to jump in head first, you sound like your nearly there! its a Nissan and I don't think you can go wrong.
    Cheers Cap'n. Price is up there, but my requirements are 3l diesel dual cab for towing the boat. Reason, rag boat sailing!! Have to tow the boat, plus the crew, usually as far as Melbourne and Airlie Beach. I am really interested in the dual cab cruiser, but not interested in a v8 or the price. I was not specifically looking to upgrade, just noticed the 1% offer that made it attractive to upgrade. To be honest, the d40 will do the job, but the bigger engine would be nice. I refuse to pay cash for it, so only way you will get me to upgrade is with one of these 1% deals!!

I was kinda hoping to head from some long term owners. Been searching the net and have not heard much bad news. Looks like they may have picked up the game a bit since the early d40's. Most of the comments I have seen regarding the navara have been the early model d40's (same as mine) and most are having the same issues I had.

So I test drove the v6 today. Not bad, sounds like a commodore! As usual, they still wont talk dollars until you are ready to sign a contract, however I did ask about the 1% finance v cash v abn discount. As Terry suggested, they wont do ABN discount on the 1% finance, and the cash rate is cheaper also.

Taking wifey for a look tomorrow, plus she is a better negotiator than me. Will get the figures for cash, 3 years and 5 years and compare it to the interest I am paying on the investment house to see if its worth it. If the 1% rate saves more in interest (on the house) than the cash price I will probably go ahead. Just need to sit down and figure out the amount of interest I will pay over 3 and 5 years on the house, and I will take those figures with me tomorrow.

I guess trade in on the d40 has to be accounted for as well..

Well I bit the bullet, 1% finance over 3 years. Got 2 prices of them, cash and finance. Working on a 50k changover from the d40 I did the maths. They would come down about 3000 cash/abn discount, but interest saved on my investment house by taking out the 1% finance was going to save me about $6000. They would not take $6000 of the cash price. So its bascially a $5000 saving by financing at 1%. Talked them down some more and got tourneo and towbar thrown in for free.

FYI, its a genuine 1% if take over 3 years. Over 4 years, its 2% + $400 establishment fee IIRC. Over 5 years its 3%, and I assume also a $400 establishment fee.

So overall, you are still better off taking out 1% finance. Even with the establishment fee, its still cheaper over 4 years as well.

I really, really hope this car does not give me grief like the d40. I told myself I would never buy a nissan again, so lets hope this one is a bit better than the last.

Well picked up the new v6 navara today. The old one was just over 5 years old and the difference is amazing. Certainly has gobs more power (which is what I was chasing) and its a lot quieter than the old one.

Have to do 1600km before I can hook up the boats. But considering I have just had a trail bike crash, its going to be 6 months before ride/sail/fish so the car should be well and truly run in by then. In the mean time, will get plenty of beach and bush camping out wide so will be able to test the fuel economy.

I really hope I have not made a mistake on this car. Its a 5th gen, so hopefully they have ironed out the problems I had with the d40. Any problems this time might be referred to my lawyer.

Good luck with it mate. I hope it is everything you want it to be. Nothing like the smell of a new car.

Yeah I agree, good luck with it and I hope it is all that you want it to be.

Hope you have no trouble with it.

I hope we all will be reading good reports about your new investment.

It will also be interesting to know how it goes fuel wise with that V6 turbo diesel.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodoo haven View Post
    Yeah I agree, good luck with it and I hope it is all that you want it to be.

Hope you have no trouble with it.

I hope we all will be reading good reports about your new investment.

It will also be interesting to know how it goes fuel wise with that V6 turbo diesel.
    So far I can confirm it goes like stink. Very impressive engine. Think v6 commodore, goes the same but diesel. Its quite a strange feeling actually, big 4wd ute driving like a small commodore ute. Its a bit to early to say for sure, but seems that it might be beating the d40 for economy in the city. The d40 I had never matched the manufacturers specs on fuel consumption, not from the day I bought it. I suspect that the engine problems contributed to this, as others on ausfish reported much better economy that I ever had. The v6 however, is currently matching what nissan suggest, and infact might be just bettering the claimed figures by a tiny margin.

Eearly indications are suggesting its a really, REALLY good car. Much better than the d40. I really hope it stays this way. Needless to say, I still remain nervous. It was an expensive car, but nissan have a niceh market. No one else does a medium size dual cab ute with the same amount of pulling power.