Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teewah Beach Conditions ATM

Re: Teewah Beach Conditions ATM

Am thinking GBC that the track you took on the bikes would be the 'Telstra track' that supplied phone to Teewah in the late 80s and then also power in about 2002. Skirts the swamps between Teewah and behind the 3rd cut - comes out at Teewah at the dump - which is now just green waste. Many here are wanting this gated track which is semi maintained to be able to be used by landowners in emergencies or when the beach is difficult - but when the beach is difficult, the swamps tend to be over the track. I often run this track and it is currently under a couple of feet of water in places and loaded with red belly blacks.

The original 'emergency' track, which was possibly cut during WW2 as there was a look out tower built on the dunes where the rocks south of Teewah are, but could also have been cut by sand miners in the 60s, was just in behind the dune proper. It entered Teewah at the north eastern end and came out where the sand mining depot was at the 3rd cut - the remnant tailings having only just in the last 2 years been removed and exported to China. We took this track after being stranded in Teewah for an extra week in '73 or '74 and it was getting overgrown then. Last walked along it in the late 80s and it was hard to find and is completely covered in mostly lantana now.

These days we have a helipad for emergencies.

Sounds about right Lindsay. It was pretty well non existent by the end of the 90's. I suppose it was remade when the power came through. What are your thoughts about having road access? Double edged sword really. I havent had much to do with the place since the late 90's.
    The Perrins (octagon house in stargazer st) had a photo of their old Land Rover on the track when it was first put in - there was a log bridge over the creek.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

I recall the Perrins, but didn't know them well.

The main problem with having an inland access track is that there is no disincentive for Council to close the beach south of Teewah - as can potentially happen when the rocks are difficult. No track means that Council must keep the beach open for Teewah landowners - and everyone else. Mind you, I can't see the deamalgamated Noosa Council ever having the funds required to upgrade the track anyway.
    So no - not in favour of any sort of inland track to Teewah.

I see a meeting taking place this morning at the rocks south of Teewah between QPWS and Tewantin Police. The subject for discussion would be whether to close the beach for Easter or not. Will post any info as it comes to hand.

Looks like the beach will stay open for Easter.
    Rocks have improved substantially with sand coming back on to the beach and saw any number of trailers and a few caravans come through over the weekend. Some drivers were having a little trouble because they took poor lines but most were doing it easy. Travel is still best up to 2 hours either side of low - when everyone will be travelling which is certain to cause severe congestion both around the rocks and on Freshwater Rd.

Lot of people fishing and most are finding small bream, dart, whiting and flathead. Most fish are undersized and have seen quite a few illegal fish being kept. Tailor are scarce but there is the occasional chopper to be found. Surf south of about Red Canyon turned brown with algae on Saturday but was a little better yesterday and will hopefully clean up with a burst of south east wind today and tomorrow. D.I. lagoon has been thoroughly swept by nets over the last month and the last sweeping (last week) produced nothing. No sign of pelagic activity and the only birds working are seagulls sorting through the debris patches. Hopefully this will change this week.

Hi, just wanted to find out about beach conditions ATM. Thinking of a day trip early next week. Hope someone has been getting around!! Cheers. Mat

Beach is good - no dramas getting along on anything other than near full tide. Lots of sand accumulated around/in the rocks which any 4wd could easily cope with.
    Busy today with a fair ol eugarie slaughter happenin. Is a few fish being caught but quality is poor.

Thanks Slider, I won't be takin a rod; just the in-laws. Have not been up in a couple years and changed vehicle to a parthfinder so should be fun.