Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do new members now have to pay to post on Ausfish?

Do new members now have to pay to post on Ausfish?

A couple of months ago an old friend emailed me out of the blue to get a bit of help on fishing the Bribie passage. I gave him some help but suggested that he join Ausfish, telling him what a great site it was for getting and sharing information about every aspect of fishing, and that he could search past posts or ask questions which members would gladly answer.

Got an email from him late last week saying that the site was 'read only' to him as a new member and if he wanted to post he would have to pay a subscription. His response was the same as mine would have been. ( edited for good reason )

Is this right? And if so, how long has this been the case?

If it's true I now understand why the number of reports has slowed to a trickle lately.

Cheers Freeeedom

( remember the terms and rules when you signed up. This is a G rated forum and even using hash tags in stead of letters, easily spells out a word that we all know and should not be used for our younger readers to see. Further, this thread is being moved to the correct location. Cheers Phill )
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 06-03-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: language

Re: Do new members now have to pay to post on Ausfish?

Found this, might help.
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...-but-can-login
    appears any member joining after 19 July 2008 has to pay to post.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

I'm sure that my subscription costs have been far outweighed by the advice & help I've received from other members here.
    I am happy to pay the 0.83 cents per month ($10/yr). I guess some just expect to be spoon fed all of their lives!
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

I would be thinking the fishing reports have slowed to a trickle because of the weather.

Also - if you are too cheap to fork out $10 per year for the benefit of being able to partake in an informative and helpful site like this - then you are to cheap to own a boat.

My 2c.

Mark

Yeah happy to pay my 2.7 cents per day (even cheaper in a leap year)
    My first post after paying saved me a couple of hundred on my motor
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeeedom View Post
    A couple of months ago an old friend emailed me out of the blue to get a bit of help on fishing the Bribie passage. I gave him some help but suggested that he join Ausfish, telling him what a great site it was for getting and sharing information about every aspect of fishing, and that he could search past posts or ask questions which members would gladly answer.

Got an email from him late last week saying that the site was 'read only' to him as a new member and if he wanted to post he would have to pay a subscription. His response was the same as mine would have been. ( edited for good reason )

Is this right? And if so, how long has this been the case?

If it's true I now understand why the number of reports has slowed to a trickle lately.

Cheers Freeeedom

( remember the terms and rules when you signed up. This is a G rated forum and even using hash tags in stead of letters, easily spells out a word that we all know and should not be used for our younger readers to see. Further, this thread is being moved to the correct location. Cheers Phill )
    Sorry to hear your friend can not afford 2.7 cents a day to help him enjoy his fishing more. Must be a bit hard to not be bale to afford to buy fishing mags or subscriptions once you have paid thousands for a boat, tackle, etc, and not be able to find out how to enjoy it more.

If you can get your friend to send me an email I will shout him a subscription to help him enjoy this wonderful recreation even more.

At least he can read the 1,348,416 posts on here for free without having to pay, unlike fishing mags that you have to pay for, or read at the newsagent.
    Last edited by Ausfish; 06-03-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyCoastMark View Post
    I would be thinking the fishing reports have slowed to a trickle because of the weather.

Also - if you are too cheap to fork out $10 per year for the benefit of being able to partake in an informative and helpful site like this - then you are to cheap to own a boat.

My 2c.

Mark
    no mark, its your 2.7c

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Blog Entries

Freedom, please don't get too pee'ed off at this mate. I pay my $10 a year as I joined after the cut off for free membership. There are other sites around (and I am a member on a couple of them) however the amount of info you can gain from this site is well worth it. Your posts, insights and advice alone is worth the ten bux I pay a year. You have helped me immensely with your reports as too others I am sure. Would hate to see you crack it and shoot through mate!!

i dont even notice the payment come out its so small.
    from memory you cant see any images before paying the fee. Its worth the 10 bucks just to see how ugly some of you blokes really are

i joined in april 08 so got a free membership but signed up for a $10 subscription anyway. figured the massage business must be slow and steve needed a few bob so i also pay for a mate each year for his birthday. steve has done a great job on creating the site which is enjoyed by so many. i am sure that working on it has cost him many, many hours of his life and $10 is so paltry...

considering all the ausfish stuff i have won and been given at m&gs i am still way ahead and then there is the mates i have made and great parties i have attended.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Woops. Wrong info.

What's the difference between the $10 a year and the $30 for 6 months I'm paying at the moment?

It's not the money, of course, it's the principle! When you turn up for the church working bee to give up your time and energy for free, you don't expected to be slugged $10 or you're not allowed to help.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Quote Originally Posted by Freeeedom View Post
    It's not the money, of course, it's the principle! When you turn up for the church working bee to give up your time and energy for free, you don't expected to be slugged $10 or you're not allowed to help.
    Cheers Freeeedom
    Sorry Mate ,
    Must say you lost me with that analogy .
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by hooknpull View Post
    What's the difference between the $10 a year and the $30 for 6 months I'm paying at the moment?
    The six monthly membership gives you

Access to the premium members forums
    (The Bilge, GPS, Politics, Sport, etc.)
    Less ads
    No video popups
    No 728 x 90 top banner
    No 160 x 600 side banner
    You will only see the banners at the top and through the forums. This may decrease as well as more people take up Premium Membership
    Option to view forum without the left hand side ad box

More message storage, 500 PM's can be stored
    More gallery images, 10 galleries with up to 20 pics per gallery

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Ausfish; 07-03-2013 at 08:01 AM.