Thread: Crab Meat

Crab Meat

Just wanting to know how you keep crab meat. Does it freeze ok or can it only be kept in the fridge for a couple of days.

Mark

Re: Crab Meat

vacuum sealing will extend the life. if you are freezing i reckon its only good for soup, mornay or curry. don't even try to enjoy straight up after thawing, you will only be disappointed.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Don't get caught with crab meat and no shell by the fisheries even in your own home (they will deem it to be from female and under size crabs).
    I remember some campers getting caught north of Bourketown with 5kgs of crab meat and no shell, fisheries hit them with a hefty fine.

TMC

mark i know that in south aus when the blue swimmer season was on no limits then they would cook them then put the meat into jars and fill with vinergar last forever apparently.

tuppence.

I freeze my crabs green. Then let slowly defrost in a moderate ice slurry then straight into the boiling pot. Don't tend to ever keep crab meat theres never any left over.

As stated above having in your possesion crab meat that is not for immediate consumption is against the law.

From the website
    Possessing crustaceans and crabmeat
    A person must not possess:

mud or blue swimmer crabs with the carapace (shell) missing (this includes possessing claws without the rest of the crab)
    live tropical rock lobsters - fishers who catch tropical rock lobster are required to remove the central flap of the tail or puncture the flap with a hole at least 10mm in diameter
    crabmeat - unless the crab with a missing shell or the crabmeat is for immediate consumption.