Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sea Shepherd judged to have committed acts of piracy

Re: Sea Shepherd judged to have committed acts of piracy

hell if dolphin didnt have a permanent smile.........there would be a size and bag limit.
    Living the dream, Barry

I watched whale wars for 1 episode and was hopeing for the sea shephard to sink! They are the biggest bunch of arrogant wankers i have ever watched on tv...

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    That's a very long bow to draw...drawing similarities between a country using a loop hole in international law and hunting endangered mammals in an inhumane manner to comparing that with an individual or group damaging another individuals personal property because they don't like their recreational pursuits????

Yes but lambs, snail, crickets, spiders and snakes etc are not endangered....
    Neither are minke or humpback whales.
    You should be more concerned about world tuna stocks than current whale hunting practices.

A quick search reveals this data in minke whales.

"Population and conservation status

The IUCN Red List labels the common minke whale as Least Concern.[11] The Antarctic minke whale is listed as Data Deficient.[12]

COSEWIC puts both species in the Not At Risk category [1]. NatureServe lists them as G5 which means the species is secure on global range [2].

In 2012, the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission agreed upon a population estimate of 515,000 for the Antarctic minke stock. [13] The Scientific Committee acknowledged that this estimate is subject to a negative bias because some minke whales would have been outside the surveyable ice edge boundaries."
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Quote Originally Posted by FatBuoy View Post
    Has anybody else actually ate whale?
    No. I have been to Japan a couple of times, and stayed in hotels as well as in the homes of Japanese friends. Never saw whale for sale. Was never offered it to eat. Toured the Tokyo fish markets and didnt see any. Went to zillions of shopping centre with The Admiral when we were there and never saw any in the supermarkets. If it was there, it certainly wasnt obvious or conspicuous.

I would prefer if Japan didnt kill whales, but i am not so arrogant as to try to force my views on them. If it is their tradition and culture to eat them, and the ones they target arent endangered, then thats up to them, imo.

Australia risks being labelled as having double standards in this matter too.

Dugong are, from all accounts, endangered or at least at risk. It is illegal to kill them in this country.....

EXCEPT that our Government, recognising traditional cultural practices of the Aboriginal people, (or perhaps being politically far too correct) allows them to hunt, kill and eat these endangered animals under cetrain circumstances.

I have seen with my own eyes Dugong, and for that matter, marine turtles as well, being prepared and eaten in Aboriginal feasts. Was even offered a taste......

Yet, as a nation, we lecture Japan and try to prevent them from doing exactly the same thing with whales. Japanese tradition and custom..... Vs Aboriginal tradition and custom. Apparently it is different, though.....

Look up the definition of hypocracy. I think you might find that, on this issue, as a nation, we might just fit the bill.

Dont forget also, Its not that long ago that we hunted whales in this country. I was looking thru some of my dear departed Dad's slides the other night and found a picture of a huge harpooned humpback whale being pulled up onto a jetty and dragged on tracks towards the processing factory - think it was on the beach in northern NSW, around Byron or Kingscliffe somewhere i think. Yes, not that long ago - 50's or 60's it would have been.

And you cant argue that humpback numbers are rapidly recovering can you! Before long they will be so thick in the water they will be a danger to navigation in the migration season!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

[QUOTE=Moonlighter;1461931]For me, the whole point is about any group that thinks that they can flaunt the law, put lives and property at real risk, destroy law abiding businesses, and think that all of that is OK because their "cause" is noble and they are "right" and the people they are attacking are "wrong".

QUOTE]

Geez mate, have a good think about what your saying. If it wasn't for the French revolution life wouldn't be like it is now! I don't like Greenies but the whale research thing is the biggest farce going. From some of the comments here I gather that a few people have no problem with Rhinos being killed for the "potent" powder of their crushed horns.

[QUOTE=Mr Squiggles;1461951]
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    For me, the whole point is about any group that thinks that they can flaunt the law, put lives and property at real risk, destroy law abiding businesses, and think that all of that is OK because their "cause" is noble and they are "right" and the people they are attacking are "wrong".

QUOTE]
    Geez mate, have a good think about what your saying. If it wasn't for the French revolution life wouldn't be like it is now! I don't like Greenies but the whale research thing is the biggest farce going. From some of the comments here I gather that a few people have no problem with Rhinos being killed for the "potent" powder of their crushed horns.
    Have a look at your calendar Mr Squiggle. It should say 2013. I would hope society has better ways to deal with things in this day and age.

Mind you, wasn't it the frogs who sorted out the Rainbow Warrior?

Maybe we should follow your approach and get the frogs to sort out Sea Shepherd as well....i'm sure if it was French whaling ships that your green friends were harassing, they would be on the bottom of the ocean, not the surface, by now.

Maybe its you who should think what you are saying?
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Question of priorities, it always amazes me when the whole media concentrates on a single whale beaching itself on a Sydney beach etc while thousands of kids starve in Africa?, where is Sea Shepherd?, Symbolism?... cut to a TV grab of mum and young daughter crying from the headlands over the young whale but i bet you they will hit the remote and change channel to a reality TV show when and if you cut to kids dying and whack something in the microwave.

..its symbolism at its best or worse depending on your point of view. If all that energy was directed to.. well forget it but you know exactly what im saying..maybe im cyncial and frankly Sea Shepherd is a media fraud. It only serves to highlight symbolism at its most cynical and at its heart is fund raising. The whales come second....from whatever POV you come from
    Tangles KFC

while we are on this lets talk about the krill been harvested in our waters and its been done by our own companies , european and american companies , all for its health benefits for us .Soon whales and the whole food chain wont be worried about hunters they will simply just start to starve. At the rate krill is been hervested it wont be long before we start to see the effects on the food chain in the ocean.
    who will sea shepherd be after then.

They will then turn to protecting the lonely lesbian seagull
    Living the dream, Barry

[QUOTE=Crunchy;1461914]That's a very long bow to draw...drawing similarities between a country using a loop hole in international law and hunting endangered mammals in an inhumane manner to comparing that with an individual or group damaging another individuals personal property because they don't like their recreational pursuits????

Crunchy its about the shortest draw bow available to man. !! Its a dream to think they arnt waiting to finish your fishing as well. All hunting and fishing can be argued to have some inhumane element! even if you are a catch and release exponent. If the Japs towed whales aroung with a cable for half an hour by the gob and then slowly swam and released them there would be an even greater outcry. At least with a harpoon you die quickly.
    We just cant have lunatics ruling the assylum!

Ive got a mate going to Japan this week and he swears he wants to find and try some whale meat on a burger with fries. If he gives it the thumbs up I might have a crack at filleting one myself, as Ive seen a few off Cairns lately.
    As for the Sea Wolf (Sea Shepherd) I think they will eventually get hunted out as well.

Cheers!
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

The sea sheppard and bob brown think they have some right to do what they have done. they dont. the Australian warships should sort out Sea sheppard, as they have no right, to do what they are doing, ramming ships and have no mandate from the Australia government to be there at all.

If you watch the ABC video, Bob implies he has been given some right to do what he is doing along with the other american idiot.

If that happend on land, the cops and army would be all over the protestors like a rash.

Right wrong or otherwise, the Japanese have a legal right to harvest the whales, as sanctioned by the world courts.

Regards
    HOnda.

[QUOTE=odes20;1461993]
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    That's a very long bow to draw...drawing similarities between a country using a loop hole in international law and hunting endangered mammals in an inhumane manner to comparing that with an individual or group damaging another individuals personal property because they don't like their recreational pursuits????

Crunchy its about the shortest draw bow available to man. !! Its a dream to think they arnt waiting to finish your fishing as well. All hunting and fishing can be argued to have some inhumane element! even if you are a catch and release exponent. If the Japs towed whales aroung with a cable for half an hour by the gob and then slowly swam and released them there would be an even greater outcry. At least with a harpoon you die quickly.
    We just cant have lunatics ruling the assylum!

Ive got a mate going to Japan this week and he swears he wants to find and try some whale meat on a burger with fries. If he gives it the thumbs up I might have a crack at filleting one myself, as Ive seen a few off Cairns lately.
    As for the Sea Wolf (Sea Shepherd) I think they will eventually get hunted out as well.

Cheers!
    Especially catch and release fishing which is all ready banned in a few countries as they consider it inhumane to subject a fish to that stress and pain for sport.
    So don't be too complacent that the nutters won't start on you.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk HD
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Not in Australia they don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by honda900 View Post
    The sea sheppard and bob brown think they have some right to do what they have done. they dont. the Australian warships should sort out Sea sheppard, as they have no right, to do what they are doing, ramming ships and have no mandate from the Australia government to be there at all.

If you watch the ABC video, Bob implies he has been given some right to do what he is doing along with the other american idiot.

If that happend on land, the cops and army would be all over the protestors like a rash.

Right wrong or otherwise, the Japanese have a legal right to harvest the whales, as sanctioned by the world courts.

Regards
    HOnda.

not a conservationist by any stretch but if Greenpeace are Pirates then the japanses Fishing Industry is definatley the Mafia

I completely agree with Marty that if correctly managed almost anything could be eaten. However, when it comes to the Japanese, they don't give two shits about correctly managing anything. They consume over 80% of the worlds Tuna harvest every year. That's just mental.

The issue here for me is however, that Australia has declared part of the southern ocean as Australian territorial waters. These ships hunt whales, which we have deemed protected in "our" waters. Watch what happens to an Indonesian fishing boat, fishing reef fish off N/W W.A. when Operation Relex catches them. Yet these fish are allowed to be fished, just not by Indonesians. Yet here we have the harvest of whales in "Australian Waters" that not even an Aussie is allowed to fish.

I say, the government needs to hurry the international court up to get a decision on this matter. Either way, they should be sending the Navy to board these ships, arrest the crew, drive the ships to SEQ waters and sink them in 40m of water.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.