Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not exactly IT help. TV issues

Question Not exactly IT help. TV issues

Most of the people that respond here have a good working knowledge of all things electrical.

Hence my question.

The remote control sensor on my TV does not pick up the signals from the remote.

New batteries installed.

Red light comes on in remote when I push buttons, but nothing happens at TV.

It is a LCD / LED / Full HD / Hisense about year and 1/2 old.

Further, I get a heap of " blocks " ... pixelation is it called ??? on different channels at different times. Raining creates problems as does wind.

I believe I have Digital co-ax, digital antenna and is pointing in the right direction.

Any suggestions to fix problems. ???

Thanks in advance.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Not exactly IT help. TV issues

Box it up take it back under warranty.

Suppose I should check paperwork.... now to find it.

Good call Dan.

It has a 3 year " in home " warranty.

Now to find reciept etc etc..............

cheers

Hopefully that is the ''extended warranty'' you pay an extra $30 for at the counter, better than standard warranty's that are often only 12 months and do not cover full replacement.

Either way you need to talk to the people that sold it to you, hopefully they are reputable and you stand a good chance of not getting stuffed around.

A good shop will set it up for you and give it a once over so you know what going on, just to see what exactly is not working.

Dan

The pixelation is caused by poor reception, which is most likely your antenna. It may need replacing or it may just have a bad connection.

We got a new one installed last year for a couple of hundred from some guy in the local rag.

If you can try a booster for the reception......Nubbings have a $30 job from Antsig which is ok......there are better and more expensive.

As for the remote?.......check e-bay.......we bought a new one 12mths ago for our 6mth old Samsung........we bought it from WOW which ofcourse went under as soon as we needed a warranty claim.......as per frikken usual.

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Check your remote is working by pointing it into a digital camera and pressing a button. You'll see if it is working on the camera screen.

Yep, dropping signal, check antenna, connections, etc. Try turning your aerial a bit to the left or right and see if loss of signal issue is effected. In normal weather conditions you will probably get away with having it pointing in the general direction, but not on cold or rainy nights. If it is only happening on one channel, say 9 and all the ones they own 90, 94,etc, it is a poor tuned aerial.

Red light coming on is not the remote sending, just an indication that batteries are OK.

Bit like a blinker flashing is only an indication that the bulb is not blown :-)
    Last edited by Ausfish; 27-02-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Phill

Ring an Electronic Engineer eg John 07 5597 311 and get him to stick his meter on the end of the aerial plug, ie the one that you plug into your PVR or TV if thats all your using. He can check reception signal strength on all channels and determine if your cable from the antenna is up to spec and if the aerial is good, ok or RS. He ended up identifying that our cable was RS and also that we needed a new antenna which he fitted and tuned. Also some PVRs are better than others and the Aust made Topfield is better than many. We got a TRF7160 and we can record 4 channels and watch another one.

We swapped over a couple of new video / pvrs that kept dropping out before we got onto the Topfield (by the way not tied up with them although I'd like to be!)

Good luck with it.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Are you checking the direction by taking a bearing off Google Earth from your place to Mt Cootha? A couple of degrees can make the difference between pixelation and low but acceptable reception.

Pm sent Phill.

Cheers, Kero
    Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

OK..... ???

I arrive back home after 10 days interstate and switch on Tele. Just for the hell of it, I try the remote.

It works.???????????????

Now, I did switch off the tele at the wall for the time I was away ... is it possible for a LED LCD HD TV to " re-set " itself ??

Cyber space and IT stuff ...... plays with my head !!!!!

LP

I reckon you are experiencing life on the edge of the "digital cliff".

Probably the previous episode(s?) were the TV getting flummoxed by dodgy reception. It will vary based on humidity, tree movement ,overhead aeroplanes.... all sorts of things. When it gets a bad signal it can 'hang' the TV and it becomes unresponsive to the remote. TVs are damn near a computer these days and are susceptible to the same issues.

When its just above the digital cliff in signal strength, reception is perfect. Below and you get pixelation, squeals, hung TV. All or none of the above.

Best thing you can do is get into your tv tuning menu... Get on a station and look at signal strength. Get someone else not as valuable as yourself up on the roof and have them turn the arial a smidgen one direction. Keep doing that till you best signal strength. If you improve it using that method... fine. If not then ring a Aerial mob and get them to redo your aerial, cabling or whatever they think needs doing.

Good luck LP.... All the above is just my uneducated guesses... I have been lucky a time or two though...

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like'.)

WL is recounting what we and others have also experienced. We did more or less what he said as expressed in p10.

C
    C
    What could go wrong.......................