Thread: Fish 'in possession' means anytime, anywhere

Fish 'in possession' means anytime, anywhere

Two fishers have learned an expensive lesson in North Queensland after receiving fines totalling $10,000 for not following the recreational fishing rules.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) district manager Rob McDonald said this should send a message to fishers that it was extremely important to know and understand the rules.

“A possession limit refers to the total number of fish an individual can legally take and have in their possession at any one time—it does not apply on a per day basis,” Mr McDonald said.

“This includes the fish you have caught previously that are in your esky, on your boat or in the freezer at home.”

Appearing at the Proserpine Magistrate’s Court on 16 January 2013, one fisher was charged with four offences under the Fisheries Act.

“QBFP officers executed a search warrant at the Proserpine fisher’s residence, locating excessive quantities of crustaceans and no-take species,” Mr McDonald said.

“The fisher was caught with 15 mud crabs and 38 tropical rock lobsters in excess of the limit, as well as three tar-spot tropical rock lobsters and an undersized mud crab.

“Pleading guilty to the charges, the fisher was convicted and fined a total of $7500.”

In the second matter, prosecuted in the Bowen Magistrate’s Court on 15 January 2013, a NSW fisher was also charged with four offences.

“After receiving complaints from the public, QBFP officers searched the NSW fisher’s campsite and located 16 barramundi fillets in excess of the limit, three crab claws without the body and two litres of crab meat in his freezer,” said Mr McDonald.

“The fisher pleaded guilty to the charges and was fined a total of $3500.”

Mr McDonald said fishers travelling interstate needed to fish responsibly and check the state rules before crossing the border.

"Fishing rules and regulations can be different across state borders, but individuals are responsible for knowing the rules for the area they intend to fish and sticking to them,” he said.

“The Queensland Recreational Boating and Fishing Guide contains the fishing rules and is readily available online, over the phone or from your local bait and tackle store.

"We encourage people to report unlawful or suspicious fishing activities by calling the Fishwatch Hotline on 1800 017 116."

For more information on the recreational fishing rules and a copy of the Queensland Recreational Boating and Fishing Guide, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Re: Fish 'in possession' means anytime, anywhere

Thats good news but also explains our budgetary problems. I thought 7.5 + 3.5 = 11. what happened to the other grand?
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Seems we only need fisheries officers for prosecutions proceedures, can't recall the last time fisheries officers actually found someone comitting an offence that is without public assistance.

I have an idea... maybe you should just offer a standard fee for persons supplying information leading to an arrest... you could then reduce the amount of fishery officers and maybe employ davo to do some numbers for yas
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Well you Fisheries Guys i ask the question, a few years ago (about 5years) i reported that several people were moving huge amounts of Reef Fillets off a particular place. But i got the impression they turned a blind eye mmm maybe because of the circumstances. But nothing was done, and to this day still nothing is done IN REGARDS TO THIS AREA. I do have to wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    Thats good news but also explains our budgetary problems. I thought 7.5 + 3.5 = 11. what happened to the other grand?
    GST maybe
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Ausfish Platinum Member

How does the possession limit work if you live on a boat? I take it it is the same. We're looking into the option of buying a Clipper Motor Yacht and travelling around Aus next year, we've talked about how we would store fillets for consumption along the way and wondered if there were regulations for permanent lived on vessels.
    So much to look into...

Corry
    Cheers
    Corry

Interesting Corry, but I think you will find no " grey areas " in the legislation. There is one in Qld and that is for Charter Operators and all it does is allow more possession / bag limits for trips extended at sea for 72hrs or more. That rule does NOT apply to rec fishos....... and it should IMO.

Please let us know what you find out..

cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I think the only exceptions for onboard a boat is seafood that is prepared for immediate consumption.
    Bag or Possession limits of everything else is the same as if you were living in a house.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    I think the only exceptions for onboard a boat is seafood that is prepared for immediate consumption.
    Bag or Possession limits of everything else is the same as if you were living in a house.
    Yes, I do believe you are correct, forgot about that one. But I think this relates to CRFF fillets.

Might have to go and check the regs again, myself...

cheers phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Yes, I do believe you are correct, forgot about that one. But I think this relates to CRFF fillets.

Might have to go and check the regs again, myself...

cheers phill
    I am sure it also applies to things like crays,prawn,crabs and other shell fish ect.

Question Re: Fish 'in possession' means anytime, anywhere

Hey FQ, congrats on apprehending them , but a $10~11K fine...... seems a bit harsh...given comparisons...
    Geez , it seems you can steal ~$6.7M and only get?? a $2000 fine and NOT ALLOWED TO PRACTICE.... (as per below link)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226587711573
    Justice Wilson ordered that Mr Baxter's name be struck from the local roll of solicitors for professional misconduct.
    Mr Baxter also was ordered to pay the Legal Services Commissioner's costs of $2000.
    V "The fisher"...

“The fisher was caught with 15 mud crabs and 38 tropical rock lobsters in excess of the limit, as well as three tar-spot tropical rock lobsters and an undersized mud crab.
    Maybe we should have bought "The fisher" a "new boat" and congratulated them on keeping the costs down....of their stealing!!....in comparison of BOTH offences

Fracken crazy world we live in... ...next Dugongs will PROBABLY be calling for Boats...to be crushed, if speeding