Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing off a ski with 2 people -am i dreaming ?

Fishing off a ski with 2 people -am i dreaming ?

Im like most of you are sick of the boat. The size of boat i need to get where i want to is way too big to handle by myself , totally unconvenient . I have a lot of free time on my hand during the week and often tought about fishing off a jetski for convenience . However on the weekend my son comes out with me ,he is 11 years old and 60 kg front rover -fit as . We dont mind the rough stuff but its the room and stability i worried about once adrift over the spot . Also going offshore , how safe is it ? Last time i had a ski it was back in the 80"s ,a stand up job, this new ones look like a size of a small tinny . Is it something that you guys done or do ? Am i dreaming ?
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

Re: Fishing off a ski with 2 people -am i dreaming ?

Hi Gerorge,
    i am not able to answer all your question, however i just purchased a 2009 yamaha Fxsho for the same reasons you mentioned. What i can say is that on Saturday i took the Ski over the Southport bar accompanied by 2 other skis for 15 mins, the seas were very big and in my boat i would have turned back, however the ski was brilliant and handled the conditions with ease i felt more confident on the ski than in a boat, the manouverablity of the sk, turn on a dime, & rapid acceleration if you need it are a real advantage. I intend to rig for fishing and reckon it will be ideal. Can't comment on 2 people fishing as so far only on my own. still working on what clothing to wear to be protected from the sun. I am 59 and i had a ball, it was more fun than i imagined. I've been boating for more years than i care to count. My son bought a jetski at xmas and i commented to him "why in the world would you want something like that what a waste of money, stick with your boat" boy am i now eating my words.
    regards terry (jetski convert)

Hi I own a 2009 FXSHO Yahama Jetski which is set up for fishing I have been out to the 50 fathom line and fished out of Coffs Harbour ( South Solitory Island). I always feel very safe and with the power I have I can get back in in no time. You can fish 2 people but it is a bit uncomfortable ( Check Jetski Fishing NZ ) there is a video of father and son fishing for snapper and kingies. I fish out of the Gold Coast, any info required give us a ring on 0412332675. John

I haven't had mine out with 2 people yet , George. But that is my intentions.

Trolling for macks..... deckie will sit backwards.

I have a 2008 Yammie. Pics etc in Jet Ski chat somewhere abouts.

I was surprised at how stable they were and agree about bar crossings.... feels safer in big seas than a boat.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Let's say... a big tiger shark approaches the rear of the ski as you are trying to gaff a tuna. The guy facing aft calls "OMG Shark" so the driver hits the throttle and shoots you forward to gain some safe distance, and in doing so, the guy facing aft falls off, landing near the position of the feeding shark.
    The shark will hopefully perform an effective risk assessment and depart.
    Leaving you to pick up your mate. But your relationship will be rather strained.
    This happen to anybody else?
    Pauly
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I fish off mine. Have done so last 2 yrs. 2 can fish, just have to balance the weight when one moves around. The yammys are very good. There seems to be a few of us now, so maybe we should get together for a fish. I have only fished inside as i would only go outside if in a group. Safety in numbers.

If you are worried about balance when fishing 2 up you have options like the boat collar like in this thread -
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...Picture-Thread.

have been the deckie on the back of a yammy and loved it. two of us around the 100kg mark chasing mackeral. If I could afford it I'd get one myself.
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

Thank you guys for the info , i pretty much decided to get one .I looked at the yamaha fx ho today at Zilmere , very impressive but price is up there . Opinions on secondhand ones ? Is it worth it or too much hassle and unknown with them ? How many hours is too many ? Also i can get a vx for $12.000 brand new 2011 model , too much of a compromise ?
    George
    Last edited by manchild; 26-02-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    his story ready to tell,

An FX-HO is a FANTASTIC ski, and is well superior to a VX.
    No issues whatsoever is buying a well looked after 2nd hand one.
    The non supercharged HO will easily do 1,000 hours if looked after as it should be with just basic servicing and flushing.

I strongly suggest buying a 2009 onward FX-HO with the Cruise Control feature. It really does make distance touring a breeze.

Used ones of this vintage are common, easy to find with under 100 hours. Just avoid any skis where the engine and engine bay doesn't look practically brand new, as it really should at this age if it's been maintained properly.
    What usually kills Yamaha skis isn't that they mechanically wear out, it's the failure of water feed hose clamps that aren't renewed when needed as they aren't stainless from the factory. Looking after everything with a Lonilin spray product sees them last many years, as does replacing them as required!

My group of friends all have FX model Yamahas, some are HO's, some are SHO's (Supercharged). We all love them and buy them 2nd hand except the rich guys in the group who love tearing up cash. I saved $10k buying mine 12 months old done 30hrs

Last edited by manchild; 26-02-2013 at 06:29 PM.
    his story ready to tell,

If it was me, i would by a ho cruiser with the cruiser seats. Very comfortable to ride. Just me but i would got the extra and buy new. I just bought new HO CRUIESR and trailer for $18400 from gold coast waverunner.
    I have a 2010 model as well. A great ski to fishoff.

Hi George,

When I considered a ski for off shore fishing my mates gave me three tips -

• Largest possible hull
    • Largest possible storage area
    • Large fuel capacity
    • No supercharger (good full economy for long range trips)
    One thing they forgot to mention was stability. No problem with one pesron on board, but two people trying to move around on a ski whilst fishing can be a real handful.
    I know I've done it many times...however I have added some pods which really give me some excellent stability. This makes it very safe for offshore fishing & diving etc. also got some extra storage out of the deal.

Ignore the tow sled... only fit that when I really feel lucky expecting to bring home some large palegics...

Cheers...........
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm a huge advocate of Yamahas "Cruiser seat" too. I chose it, and everyone who rides it wants the cruiser seats for their own skis. Really do make a massive difference when in the saddle all day.

For me, the biggest issues you need to be aware of is firstly protection from the elements. Secondly, accessing and storing all the gear you need, and the mechanics of how you'll do simple tasks at sea. Cutting bait, re-rigging, storing fish, anchoring, keeping terminal tackle dry. You cannot change the fact that doing all of those things is easier on a boat.

I still think fishing from a PWC is more a novelty than anything else.

Just be aware of the realities before pulling the trigger bud.

Thans mate , i tought of all this . The mobility and ease of handleing what i was looking for . I still keeping the boat for the family . The tought of rigging up , dragging a big fibreglass boat down to the ramp , launch it on your own ,drag it home ,manouvre it into a very tight s bend downhill to its spot , wash it down , cover it up takes the fun out of it . I want to be able just grab the ski and go when i want to and not be a hassle .Like i mentioned i got a lot of free time during the week .My boat also too big for the creeks , i miss my jack fishing . To make it convenient we will only fish plastics off the ski , no baitboards needed .Being able to launch it on just about any beach is a big plus for us , which makes Di point headland and such a places accesable with relative ease .Like everything else its a compromise .
    George
    his story ready to tell,