Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DRAGONFLY by Raymarine!!!!!!

Re: DRAGONFLY by Raymarine!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lancair View Post
    Some great prices at Koala GPS, but it's still sent from USA so I guess theres a chance of paying GST on arrival. It is even in their shipping notes that they will not be liable for taxes.
    No GST on items under $1000

I know Timddo, Im still considering the FCV587. Where did you get yours ? Was the price you wrote down inc the tranny ?

No NMEA2000 or similar data connections? Raymarine must think its still 1985 and are about to go watch Cher in concert on the weekend. FFS, great pics but they dropped the ball on this one. Is there a 9-10inch model coming out?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Keep in mind that Raymarine has a global warranty, so long as you register the product it doesn't matter where you buy it
    (First hand experience)

G
    S***fish & chippy

Quote Originally Posted by Lancair View Post
    I know Timddo, Im still considering the FCV587. Where did you get yours ? Was the price you wrote down inc the tranny ?
    Mate,, I got the FCV587 . Price was $1463 delivered to Australia including p66 tranny. If it's sent as a gift , no gst. Scuba Steve is the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    No NMEA2000 or similar data connections? Raymarine must think its still 1985 and are about to go watch Cher in concert on the weekend. FFS, great pics but they dropped the ball on this one. Is there a 9-10inch model coming out?
    perhaps bit pickey for under a $1K - nmea or data share not really that important for inshore, bay and estuary - unless happen to have 2 raymarines on the boat - might be a bit more important for off shore - IMHO this looks real good valus for close in and inshore work - lowrance and hds /ss ( i have one ) will be most likely dropping substanially in its price when this comes out one suspects

Would love one of these on the kayak Very tempted.

C
    Quote Originally Posted by patrol50 View Post
    perhaps bit pickey for under a $1K - nmea or data share not really that important for inshore, bay and estuary - unless happen to have 2 raymarines on the boat - might be a bit more important for off shore - IMHO this looks real good valus for close in and inshore work - lowrance and hds /ss ( i have one ) will be most likely dropping substanially in its price when this comes out one suspects
    I managed to get all of that for well under 1K in my Pre HDS Lowrance plotter/sounder back in 2008! That's approaching 5 years ago. NMEA should be as stock standard now as air con in a car. My "inshore" Webster Twinfisher has engine temp, digital revs, very accurate fuel usage, volts, etc etc etc all available on my GPS screen coming through a NMEA cable from my 2008 Suzuki outboard. 5 years later, there is no way I am going to go backwards on that stuff.

I was considering selling my Lowrance combo on the little boat and the furno sounder/north star plotter on the offshore boat and getting a larger say 10inch screen with the same set up on both boats and simply changing the head units for what ever fishing I am doing.

The fact that raymarine doesn't even have NMEA rules them out straight away for me. If they manage to push the Lowrance price down, their failure will make me very happy.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

good luck to you re data transfer and if thats what your needs are then thats fine and stick with the nema or ethernet ready gear - but for me well i dont really care about all the electronic dials and info stuff that might be nice to have up on the screen every now and then - i would just rather have a great sounder picture that tells me whats down there under the boat - when you fish as badly as i do you need every bit of help and this unit appears to give pictures of structure under the boat with a really amazing clarity - but time will tell - and i think we can probably agree it would be real good if the raymarine dragonfly sounder and down scan competitive price caused lowrance hds prices to drop a bit and particular if it happened for the hds 8 and 10 units - and i dont like there geofencing threats much either !!!
    cheers

^^^^
    Have to agree with that post.
    I still like to have gauges on the dash that I can look over regularly without having to change screens or loose gps/sounder space on a single screen, so NMEA is no good to me either.
    If I had known that this unit was coming out I personally would not have spent the coin on the HDS12 and waited for it. I find Raymarine gear much easier to use than all of the other brands, and going back to the Lowrance gear after an 11 year break to be disappointing.
    I'll give the HDS an honest trial for a few more months, but when i first read about this Dragonfly unit I immediately wanted to change, however i have to agree with a previous post, that a larger screen would be nice.

G
    S***fish & chippy

Is there any news as to if there will be a bigger screen and just a sounder modal?

I'm looking for just a sounder and this has a very impressive display but if I could find something that compaired to it in just a sounder I would jump at it.

another question, can you buy it with a thru-hull option instead of transom mount?

cheers Dave

Post Re: DRAGONFLY by Raymarine!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    C

I managed to get all of that for well under 1K in my Pre HDS Lowrance plotter/sounder back in 2008! That's approaching 5 years ago. NMEA should be as stock standard now as air con in a car. My "inshore" Webster Twinfisher has engine temp, digital revs, very accurate fuel usage, volts, etc etc etc all available on my GPS screen coming through a NMEA cable from my 2008 Suzuki outboard. 5 years later, there is no way I am going to go backwards on that stuff.

I was considering selling my Lowrance combo on the little boat and the furno sounder/north star plotter on the offshore boat and getting a larger say 10inch screen with the same set up on both boats and simply changing the head units for what ever fishing I am doing.

The fact that raymarine doesn't even have NMEA rules them out straight away for me. If they manage to push the Lowrance price down, their failure will make me very happy.
    The Dragonfly is designed not to network. It's a keep it simple unit for guys like patrol50 who want a unit that gives them ease of use, unrivaled clarity for dollar and a good quality unit.

If you want networking every other Raymarine will do it. The A67 hit shelves just before XMAS, 5.7 inch TOUCH screen, full networking, NMEA2000 integration to nearly ANYTHING you want, HD Digital sounder, I've seen them in AUS for $1200 with transducer and Aus wide Gold Card. You can get bigger displays as well. 7", 9", 12", even a 16.5" if you want, or if you can get away with it.
    Raymarine was doing NMEA 2000 networking long before most way back in 2004 with the E Classic series.
    If thats what you want it's certainly available just not in the Dragonfly.

does it sideimage?

As a stand alone sounder it looks pretty good, this or a Furuno 627 ?
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by Mick77 View Post
    Wow! That is almost beyond belief.

Is that the wreck on the SE corner of Scotland Island?
    Just north of Avalon sailing club Mick.