Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: help from the the fisheries, please

Re: help from the the fisheries, please

Quote Originally Posted by rosco1974 View Post
    loose a few wire pots in the creeks still,,,

update,
    rang the fisheries this arvo had bout a 15 minute chat bout this raging crabpot theft around the manly- close bay islands(green and st hellena).apparently there has been numerous complaints made recently in this area and as a result the fisheries are stepping up the pressence in the area..i asked if they had the resources to do this and was told they had more than enough to increase it....i was also told that recently last week or so that a known semi pro crabber was caught in this area checking pots and sharefarming the crabs as well as pots....they have confiscated his boat and are awaiting it to go to court....so i guess with that info i hope they do step up there presence around the hot spots but i guess only time will tell..will be out there again on the weekend hopefully i see a patrol boat cruisin around but i wont be holding my breath..
    cheers rosco
    Good on you rosco1974 if you need any help let me know mate, I havent lost any this year (touch wood) but in saying that I havent been out since before xmas. I am on my way home today so I might see you down at the ramp or out there in the comming weeks. If you need some assistance Ill gladly help out.
    Cheers Axl

biggest thing is if ya see anything that looks sus hile out crabbing grab the boat details andrego numbers and report it to the fisheries

marto, some people even use 2 litre milk bottles as floats........ im sure the wrong size floats also account for "stolen pots"
    i have seen at times plenty of pots at the marine park office next to the manly boat ramp, dont know why they have been confiscated, but can only guess wrong floats or incorrect markings or in a green zone area, i dont know what they are legally allowed to confiscate......anyone out there who can answer this?
    and i will admit in the past i also used 5 litre containers as a float till it was drawn to my attention they were illegal and i could lose my gear, BUT no it wasnt from authorities, just a fisho drawing it to my attention, which i thanked him for...........

cheers rob

I know milk bottles can not be used as they are not strong enough and can collapse when pulled under water.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Rosco.

Rosco- good to hear they at least acknowledged issue and somebody has been caught. I have not been out since before xmas and frankly at the same point as you - is it worth it?. My last 2 trips were raided in brissie river but atleast got the pots back. I have never lost a pot but have had them slashed and there is no lower act

Michael

Hey Rosco,
    Its just those southside people mate.lol
    No thieves up here at woody point. All honest people up here.lol
    But i can just imagine how it would piss u off. I haven't read all the threads, but mate a real tough one to combat other than just sit there, which just cant be done if u want do bit fishing.
    If possable we just may have to look out for each others pots if we are in similar area.

yeah greg is a hard one....the fisheries place microchipped crabs in pro pots when the after an amature maybe they should do the same to a few amature pots and just see if they turn up in a pro's catch for the day...maybe they already do this but iknow this is how they have caught a few amatures in the past for raiding pro pots

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Hey Rosco,
    No thieves up here at woody point. All honest people up here.lol
    If possable we just may have to look out for each others pots if we are in similar area.
    Greg, no pot thieves just 'spot' thieves hey.. .. our crabbing area at woody seems pretty safe, hayes inlet on the other hand is getting nasty. Been a few brawls down there of late !

p.s rosco did you get along to the footy at dolphin oval on the weekend
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    Greg, no pot thieves just 'spot' thieves hey.. .. our crabbing area at woody seems pretty safe, hayes inlet on the other hand is getting nasty. Been a few brawls down there of late !

p.s rosco did you get along to the footy at dolphin oval on the weekend
    brawls! god, that's the last thing you want to see or do when trying to relax and go fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by rosco1974 View Post
    loose a few wire pots in the creeks still,,,

update,
    rang the fisheries this arvo had bout a 15 minute chat bout this raging crabpot theft around the manly- close bay islands(green and st hellena).apparently there has been numerous complaints made recently in this area and as a result the fisheries are stepping up the pressence in the area..i asked if they had the resources to do this and was told they had more than enough to increase it....i was also told that recently last week or so that a known semi pro crabber was caught in this area checking pots and sharefarming the crabs as well as pots....they have confiscated his boat and are awaiting it to go to court....so i guess with that info i hope they do step up there presence around the hot spots but i guess only time will tell..will be out there again on the weekend hopefully i see a patrol boat cruisin around but i wont be holding my breath..
    cheers rosco
    I have PERSONALLY seen what looks like a pro crabber (ally centre console approx 6m long, with Verado outboard), checking pots along the Wello & Green Island drop offs before dawn with no lights, nav or otherwise. Looked very suss to me & reported to Water Police who pulled up alongside us to do safety checks etc. Even though the boat in question was in sight at the time, they showed no interest whatsoever.

makka mick
    ,maybe forward this info onto the fisheries and next time grab there details... pm them to me and i will call it through to the fisheries ...when i spoke to the fisheries they said forward as much details as possible to them for them to investergate the matter further and persue it.cheers for the info..
    cheers rosco

I do the wrong thing and sink my pots all the time! Its what I have to resort to. And I have not lost one in the last 2 years. I tried to run floats on my pots one time last year and I had planned to fish through the night and check them every 3-4 hours. As soon as it went dark I caught somebody lifting my pots had the pot in there boat when I reached them. I politely said what the F!uK do you think your doing! " Oh sorry mate we thought it was ours" I said why the hell do you have it in your boat theres names on the floats for a reason. Turns out the guys who checked my pots where the same guys I was having a chat to at the ramp and they seem'd like nice blokes apparently not. I have a little fun plan in order it involves putting a heap of pots in watching them few cold bevies and some 5''mortars. If only I knew where to get some!

Tim count me in!!! How about a 5" holesaw?
    Living the dream, Barry

one thing you blokes using bottles should be aware of is prop strikes. fishos travelling in the dark who hit your floats will sink them. this is why polystyrene floats are always better than those that rely on a "balloon" principle. it can also explain some missing pots. they may well still be there with a sliced bottle sitting next to them on the bottom. i have seen bottles half full of water on the bay a few times.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!