Thread: rod holder positioning

rod holder positioning

gday, got a ocean kayak prowler 13 for very cheap. went out in it today and enjoyed it and was generally happy with it other than the rod holders. The rod holders are positioned behind the seat and you have to really crane your neck to check the rod tip when trolling or pick up the rod. I understand they are positioned there to be out of the way when paddling. Do others who own simliar kayaks have a forward rod holder positioning set up that doesnt get in the way of paddling?

Cheers

Re: rod holder positioning

I had the same problem on my viking tempo fisherman. I mounted 2 rod holders each side of of the yak halfway down my shin. I have to reach for them but atleast they dont get in the way of the stroke. (in saying that I troll at a slow speed and don't need big strokes, When Im moving locations I still mount them behind my seat.)
    Just buy 2 rod holders and some double sided tape. Take the yak down to the water and work out where they dont get in the way

Thanks mate. I'll give that a go.

I had rod holders in front of me and could not use a natural paddle stroke plus there is the danger if a big fish runs and you end up with the line around your neck or body. it annoyed me at 1st but Persevere with the rear rod holders it becomes natural after a little while and is much safer.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

I'm a strong believer in having them in front of the seat, as you can always see what the lure is doing. If you get the adjustable Scotty rod holders (Baitcaster or Power Lock) you can aim them low and this making the rod tip low to the water well out away from the yak. This, to me, is the best senario. It also creates the widest possible spread of lures (when trolling 2 lures at once) - having them in rod holders behind you only gives you a narrow lure spread and you risk tangling the lure on each other. It also allows you to wind in the other lure if you get a hit on the other - this is just not possible to do when both rods are behind you. Just my 2cents worth.

You can also get the Scotty triple rod holder that mounts between your feet, which a few Ocean Kayak users have - see attached: 256_TripleRodHolder_wPowerL.bmp

Cheers, Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    I'm a strong believer in having them in front of the seat, as you can always see what the lure is doing. If you get the adjustable Scotty rod holders (Baitcaster or Power Lock) you can aim them low and this making the rod tip low to the water well out away from the yak. This, to me, is the best senario. It also creates the widest possible spread of lures (when trolling 2 lures at once) - having them in rod holders behind you only gives you a narrow lure spread and you risk tangling the lure on each other. It also allows you to wind in the other lure if you get a hit on the other - this is just not possible to do when both rods are behind you. Just my 2cents worth.

Cheers, Pete
    Thanks mate. Appreciate your opinion. I will have a look at the scottys. I definitely think front rod holders are the go after nearly putting my neck out. I also learnt to remain calm and steady when a fish slams your lure too! defintely a learning curve going from boats to yaks.

Quote Originally Posted by FishHunter View Post
    I had rod holders in front of me and could not use a natural paddle stroke plus there is the danger if a big fish runs and you end up with the line around your neck or body. it annoyed me at 1st but Persevere with the rear rod holders it becomes natural after a little while and is much safer.
    yes thats a thought isnt it. I guess being pulled over by a decent fish would be a concern too. Dont know how that Carnster doesnt fall in when he is hooked up to his huge fish he catches.

When trolling lures in the rear rod holders you learn to run them at different depths and distances I can make wide u turns without tangling lures now. I have also had no issues getting the 2nd line out of the water besides double hook ups.

As I said it was a learning curve in the beginning but I cant stand rods in front of me cluttering things up now. I only came close to going over when something nasty hit my 50lb rod with a good bit of drag on.
    If you angle the kayak right you get towed not toppled
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

I love them at the back, but it really depends what kind of fishing your doing. If your trolling for fish which i find very effective then the back is the best I find.
    As for the front I have 1 rod holder on my hobie revolution 13 but I find it annoying I may get a different holder but I find it easy to use them at the back, the only other front holder I use is my hand.

Other yak fishos I know have gone for the RAM tubes at the front and have them facing skyward, which sees your rod tip high in the air and thus, taking away the issue with getting hung by your line when you get a strike. The other important point in all this is how much drag you ACTUALLY have on your reel when trolling? I'm not aware of anyone that locks the drag up tight. You always leave a bit of play in it so the fish can take line at the start of the hook-up (but enough drag to half-set the hooks).

In the end it's a trial & error thing for everyone. The issue is that you don't want to be drilling holes all over the yak. Having the rods behind you requires you to be turning and looking backwards, which has it's risks. Just consider everything in the context of "safety" - i.e. What is the safest method?

Happy yak fishing.

Cheers, Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

I have a Tempo also and mounted a Scotty holder with a six inch extension between my feet in front. The extension helps it clear the deck in all positions even vertical .You can adjust rod tip down for trolling. I find it easier to grab when i get a hit trolling and you can also see if the lure fouls up with weed or the like. Also very handy in front if not trolling and you do a bit of live baiting or bait fishing like I do. Horses for courses. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by corndog23 View Post
    I have a Tempo also and mounted a Scotty holder with a six inch extension between my feet in front. The extension helps it clear the deck in all positions even vertical .You can adjust rod tip down for trolling. I find it easier to grab when i get a hit trolling and you can also see if the lure fouls up with weed or the like. Also very handy in front if not trolling and you do a bit of live baiting or bait fishing like I do. Horses for courses. Good luck.
    thanks mate. i do like the scotty t bar set up that has three 'connections'. The extension bar would be good thing too keeping the reel out of the splash zone.

Railblaza removeable rod holders? with starports? I have used these all over my new tinny and are very happy with them even have one holding up my lowrance 7'' gps.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    Other yak fishos I know have gone for the RAM tubes at the front and have them facing skyward, which sees your rod tip high in the air and thus, taking away the issue with getting hung by your line when you get a strike. The other important point in all this is how much drag you ACTUALLY have on your reel when trolling? I'm not aware of anyone that locks the drag up tight. You always leave a bit of play in it so the fish can take line at the start of the hook-up (but enough drag to half-set the hooks).

In the end it's a trial & error thing for everyone. The issue is that you don't want to be drilling holes all over the yak. Having the rods behind you requires you to be turning and looking backwards, which has it's risks. Just consider everything in the context of "safety" - i.e. What is the safest method?

Happy yak fishing.

Cheers, Pete
    + 1 to this.

went and bought a cheapo rod holder version. seemed ok until the little latch fell off and basically made the rod holder useless. took it back to the place i bought it from and they offered me another one. First use and the latch fell off. Took it back and they looked at me like i was doing something wrong. wasnt fit for purpose and got my money back. I have a scotty one now and couldnt be happier. cheers for the replies fellas.