Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How to catch a Jewfish.

Re: How to catch a Jewfish.

My neighbor said Brisbane is going to get hit with some heavy rain tonight and for a day or so, can't see it on the radar myself, but he is pretty cluey and come to think of it the winds are blowing Northerys/Nor east, so there is a big fat lump of cloud mass heading our way.
    And by the size of it further south too.

Dan

Pulled a couple of schoolies on worms yesterday off the beach so definately still worth a fish. Hope the clean up goes well fellas. Ben

Guys

Caught Schoolies all weekend fishing with worms. Just look for the mullet schooling up and they wont be too far away.

Dave

Just remember Dave, You're going to show me your secret spot. hey!!!!!

Dear Mr Squiggles,

No brotherly love on this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you guys go pulling worms with all the erosion?

Bait?? whats that?
    Got bored catching schoolies today. Too easy.

So what is a schoolie, as in size, what size does a Jewie not become a schoolie?

I'll guess anything under 65cm is a schoolie/soapie?

BTW. We are getting hammered in Bris, good rain, be a little while till I venture out for a first try at SP.

Dan

Rabbi,
    How is the water looking. Been flat out at work with all the kaos with the weather. I run a traffic control company out of Lismore and havent even seen the river for a few days. Any dead cows floating down the river......
    JN

The water is filthy and full of rubbish,trees and weed today. I had to help a mate with a drydock and didnt get a chance to fish but probly a good thing with water conditions.
    Fished the edge of the dirty water on the beach yesterday with soft plastics and got 15 schoolies but let them go to grow.
    No dead cows, yet!!
    Still more rain coming so you will be busy.

cheers.

More rain i know, i live in byron and travell to Lismore 5 days, just wish i could get flooded in but because we built that bloody ballina bypass i can always find a way through........Read some interesting stuff on jewies. It read that they are not sure weather they come in to the river to spawn or spawn at the mouths on an incoming tide and let the current do the rest. I am doing heaps of research, reading and hopefully fishng to narrow down my window of oppurtunity of cathing Jew. As i have mentioned before dont get to go much lately and wanna make sure that when i go i am making the most of it. I am sure i have organised the family for me to go out Jew fishing and have realised after the factthat i had no chance of getting one anyway be it wrong time, tide, moon, etc etc....learning and yearning..
    JN

Not many bigger jew here at the moment JN but if you head north and fish the first bar you come across with the leadup to dark, a big jew is on the cards, if you can find a place to fish! Just go to watch and learn is a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    So what is a schoolie, as in size, what size does a Jewie not become a schoolie?

I'll guess anything under 65cm is a schoolie/soapie?

BTW. We are getting hammered in Bris, good rain, be a little while till I venture out for a first try at SP.

Dan
    We call them a schoolie up to around 8kg. Over that they are solitary fish or begin to pair up and if you catch one there is usually another one the same size with it.
    Having said that, you will see clips with big fish in a school but as far as catching them goes you will catch more 8kg models and under in a session than bigger fish as the bigger fish always seem to wise up quicker and depart the fishing spot than the smaller schoolies that will hang around like hungry chooks and keep coming back for more. IMO.
    cheers.