Thread: NPD Redclaw dissapointment

NPD Redclaw dissapointment

So, thought the big wet would have finally turned on the red claw at NPD. Set 4 traps overnight with the sure-fire rock melon bait. All spots were where I got a bucket load last year. Varied from near submerged trees to slightly out a bit; 3 - 10 meters.
    ONE red claw!!!
    The traps were not touched because the baits weren't touched so it appears the red claw have either not warmed up to it yet or shut down after the rains. Perhaps a reduction in water temp due to all the outflows and inflows?

Re: NPD Redclaw dissapointment

hey Drew. i headed down to forgan cove the day after the floods and rains stopped. I too thought i would clean them up. 4 pots in the usual hot spots for nothing at all. Also using rockmelon only.
    2 years ago same time after the floods the banks were alive with them.
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Bit off topic but I am also a rockmelon fan and I am wondering if anyone has tried mango or pineapple? Thinking about trying a small tin of different sliced fruit and punching a few holes in it like catfood tins with muddies as its easier to pack a few extra tins inand a bit hard to get rockmelon in a few places I travel, but if it has been tried and a deemed a failure I won't bother and stick to the good ol melon!

cant recall trying either of those triple but ive used rockmelon, honey dew, water melon, pumpkin, sweet potato, corn cobs, all with similar results so would think any other fruits would work equally as good

Yeah I've tried most veges and other melon's etc but something in rockmelon seems to do the job better than most.. Just a pity I can't find rockmelon slices in a can anywhere so thought mango or apple slices or similar might work. (and cans are cheaper and easier to transport than a rockmelon) Cheers.

Put out one pot last Thursday baited with a forky as an explorer and got 13 good sizwd claw so then put out another 3 over the weekend and one pot was destroyed by what possibly was an eel and only got 13 out of the other 3. Have been getting plenty around 2 inches long in the shrimp trapds and a lot of them are in berry so maybe in a month of so they will improve.
    Cheers
    Ray

Triple i agree, I like the idea of the cans. Even the pears and peaches combo would prob go alright.
    Im confident they will eat anything at all. Even soap, palm sugar, mullet, pilchards, chicken frames are all proven to work.
    I buy a whole rocky when im at woolies and sometimes a sweet potato. Normally costs under 5 bucks, and will do 8 pots all day / night no probs.

Hey Kingcray. I was at NPD 2 years ago the time it was flogging down. I had the bung in my tinnie. I remember arriving at NPD after leaving home at Carbrook. My boat had nearly a foot of rainwater in it. I put my pots in and returned next day. The debris mark was 1.5 metres above me the next morning.I wonder what might have happened if I launched at the time the wall of water came through. An electric wouldnt stand a chance. Anyway, when I pulled my pots they were full of redclaw. at least 10-15 in each pot.And the pots had aboud 50mm of mud in bottom. The dam was closed a day later- Health reasons. When it was reopened they seemed to be real scarce.
    Havent bothered joining this year, Still I think if you find the right inlet or go Right out the boundary, you should get a good feed.

yes Pero like i said 2 years ago we hammered them for a few weeks. Most times in the pouring rain. Catches of 100 - 200 claw over a few hours were common, but as you say, one day they were just completely gone.
    maybe i need to walk a bit further through the scrub

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010841 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	89072Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010844 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	89073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010845 (640x480).jpg 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	89074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010856.jpg 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	89075Got 30 out of 4 pots today. replacing them with shrimp traps next trip as would rather catch more fish.Attachment 89062Attachment 89063

ray pics didnt work. What depth roughly are they in?

Sorry pictures up now
    Got them on live shrimp in 20 ft of water. 11 bass,2 yellas and one forky Best bass 49, best yella also 49.Kept the yellas.Binned the forky.
    Cheers
    Ray