Thread: Surf Popper (wet fly)

Surf Popper (wet fly)

Hi there! I wonder if anyone on the forum have much experience with using Surf Popper (wet fly) for catching Australian Salmon and Tailor? I have seen them on some per-made rigs for surf fishing at a tackleshop. Should I be bother with the surf popper or should I remove them and substitute it with a set of gang hooks or even a soft-plastic lure? If the surf poppers (wet fly) are effective in attracting fish, then what colour is best? I heard from a tackle shop that plain white is the best since the colour red becomes grey below 2 meters and colour green makes the lure look like a piece of seaweed. Not sure about the colour blue. I would like to hear your thought on this subject. :-)

Re: Surf Popper (wet fly)

mate red turns blue/green past six metres but still works as it's a contrast thing, hence why qantas lures work so well. I don't know much about this style of fishing but have seen guys on a fishing show using red/white and blue/white with good success. I think tailor would make short work of a soft plastic, so I'd go a popper too.