Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crab thieving register

Re: Crab thieving register

I'm up to my 4th crab pot, does anyone know of a GPS device that can be placed or hidden in the pot so you can track it down?

Date of theft/damage: 28/02/2014

Approximate time (if known): Sometime during the day

General location (needs to give a good indication of general area): Eastern side of Crab Is. Southport Broadwater, Gold Coast.

Occurrence (theft, damage, raided - provide details to support reason): Theft.

Email (opotional but preferable): car--000@bigpond.com

Attachment 101578

I would imagine that costs would be prohibitive.

On another note there are a number of crab pots around my area that could be travellers, there is one near the mouth of bells creek that has been there for months now and another opposite the Bullcock SLSC that I suspect drifted onto the sand banks and has been there for at around 3 weeks.

You wouldn't believe it but I had one stolen on Tuesday evening right in front of the house in open view - while I was watching. The absolute hide of these people.
    They've been reported to NSW Maritime.
    The boat has started being a regular here on the Tweed and is a local - everyone has been informed who lives on the river. The funny thing is these guys leave there pots in the river for 2-3 days before checking them. I've been watching them for months as I thought they were checking mine coming up the river just after dark.
    They must have decided they liked my pro pots so much they put it in the boat and kept going.
    I'm not advocating anything but with the locals incensed - they may want to get friendly with a tackle shop to keep replenishing their gear.
    Brett

Here's some food for thought.
    Pots being slashed are not necessarily being done by man kind. I've witnessed eagles and others species at low tide pecking there way in into the bait and taking and ripping apart baitholders etc. If i hadn't seen this i would have thought there slashed as well. Not making excusses for the scums out there that actually do run a knife in pots but if they exposed at low tide its possible animals are the blame.

I had 1 pot stolen last weeks end at Pine River between 9:00 and10:00Am from a creek that was around 6 foot deep - didn't drift away.

The other three pots near it were all checked for me, had whole mullet in each which were gone and 2x traps left open.

I am adding mine to the list.

Date of theft/damage: 14/04/14

Approximate time (if known): between 8:30 to 11am

General location (needs to give a good indication of general area): SW of Ida Island Tin can bay QLD.

Occurrence (theft, damage, raided - provide details to support reason): Theft, all four pots in a string went missing.

The best thing you can do when crab pots are stolen is file a police report. Today I received a phone call from the department of boating and fisheries at Noosa.
    They found someone in possession of my pots obviously with my details still on them. he couldn't give me any-other details apart from the person is being
    prosecuted. It is the small wins in life. Now I need to get my crab pots from Noosa to Brisbane. or if someone in the area wants to give me $50 for all 4 with ropes and floats (new rectangle folding pots).