Thread: Nav lights

Nav lights

I just put a post up in the boating chat section if you like to have a read.Basically if kayaks want to share the waterways then it would be nice to adhere to the same rules as a boat /vessel in regards to nav lights.Fishing in the dark in a kayak is a disaster waiting.Traverling at 20k in the dark is very hard to see you floating around,not only can some one die, more than likely it will be the kayaker.I or any one else would not want to go through life knowing that thay killed someone for the sake of a few bucks .If you cant fit lights to your vessel than stay of the water till daybreak

Re: Nav lights

Anything more than a all round white light on a kayak will cause more accidents than it prevents. As they are so narrow it will be possible to see both lights at the same time and confuse boaters as to which direction its moving. Plus it will make them think its a powered boat and will be moving quickly.

The other downside is that as they are so low on the water the lights disappear into the shore clutter.

Maybe you should also have a chat to the dumbass tinny jockeys who love to travel around at night at speed without any lights.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

I can handle a all round light ,better than a torch.IT is to late to change the rules when some 1 is dead

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think 360 degree white light is compulsory, and red/green lights could be fitted as well. The comment about the speed they are travelling is irrelevant as you do not know what speed any vessel is travelling at night, a ski boat may be just idling forward but should have its travelling lights on. The rowing boats on the Maroochy river and Eudlo creek get very close to being hard to see at dusk and do over stay their welcome in the dark at times.

I seem to remember red/green lights that were a one piece item and used to be used on top of the half cabin boats, perhaps these could be used, at least you could see a light and slow down to decide which direction they are travelling..

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Should have at a minimum an all round white light that is at least higher than the yakkers head and carry a torch to signal also, this is what I take after dark as a minimum, often have an LED headlamp too. Doesn't necessarliy mean people will slow down for you though. The Noosa river can be downright scary at night with unlit boats travelling in every direction at full tilt. Scarborough is another spot where boaties neglect to turn on their lights for fear of giving away their 'secret' spot.