Thread: Boondooma

Boondooma

Planning on going to lake boondooma easter long weekend. Can anyone share some expriences on fishing camping skiing please.

Re: Boondooma

I love fishing Boondoma, great camping ground too. It's one of the few places you can camp right at the waters edge (in shade as well). That meens you can just pull your boat up beside your tent or van and only use the boat ramp once at the start and once at end of your stay. There's powered sites too but they are further from the water. The bass and yellowbelly up there love live shrimp and you can catch those in a fine mesh shrimp trap just off the bank at the camping ground. The Kiosk has a very good supply of fishing tackle, snack food, ice and fuel. Don't forget a SIP fishing licence for those over 18, only around $7.40 a week and I'm sure you can get them from the kiosk.

Here's something from the Jan issue of BushnBeach,

Jan 2013 BnB Story Boondooma 490 words

Hi readers, I hope everyone is having a safe and enjoyable Xmas. Good luck to those of you who scored some new fishing gear off Santa too. Unfortunately he must think I already have too much gear but not enough socks and jocks, next year perhaps.
    On to the fishing and I've just returned from a 3-day trip to Lake Boondooma where we managed to give the whole dam a very solid workout. As expected the warmer water has pushed many of the bass schools downstream from the timbered sections of the Boyne and Stuart arms.
    Now quite a few fish seem to be sitting between the junction and the start of the flooded timber in both arms. There's an awful lot of baitfish in these areas too so I would think the schools should hang around here for a while yet.
    In the Stuart arm we landed plenty of yellowbelly and bass around Perkins Point and the nearby banks.
    Most were caught using Switchblades and Jackall Mask Vibs slowly hopped across the bottom.
    At times the fishing was excellent and we were probably landing around 4 yellows to every 1 bass.
    I hope that's a good omen for the upcoming Boondooma Yellowbelly Fishing Competition on the 9th and 10th of February. In the Boyne arm there were a few bass on the flats out from Pelican Point (Boyne Rocks) and some decent schools near the flooded timber in the large bay just adjacent to Pelican Point. The odd yellowbelly and bass were also caught casting spinnerbaits at the edges between Pelican Point and the start of the Boyne timber. Normally I'd prefer to fish the Boyne arm over the Stuart however on this trip the water in Stuart was definitely clearer and seemed to fish a lot better.
    In the main basin of the lake between the junction and the dam wall, most of the prominent points held some bass. The schools weren't huge but they did contain some large fish. I landed a few nice bass and cracker of a yellowbelly by hopping a black and red belly coloured Mask Vib out from the edge at Carsburg Point. Most of the fish in the main basin seemed to be pretty comfortable sitting just out from the weed in 5 to 7 metres of water.
    Other areas in the main basin that produced were Leisegang's Ledge, Wardey's Point and also at the back of the small bay just cross from the Dam Wall. Here Keitech soft plastics cast out then slowly worked back to the boat did the trick.
    Back at the camping ground I spoke to a few campers that were chasing red claw. They told me they were trapping about 1 dozen good size ones every night on parboiled potatoes and slices of rockmelon.
    Most of these guys were setting their traps up in the timbered areas of the Stuart arm.
    Until next month, tight lines and good luck.
    Pics
    1/ Boon 1 - A quality Boondooma yellowbelly caught by Leroy Finch.
    2/ Boon 2 - Isabella Schaefer was all smiles after landing this terrific bass.
    3/ Boon 3 - Young David Nowland with his yellowbelly.
    4/ Boon 4 - A nice bass for Josh Evens.
    ~~~><))))*>

Awesome spot. Very easy to relax and unwind. It is closed at the moment due to being over capacity, but should be open by easter though. Not a lot of room to camp on water edge when it is 100% full as it gets crowded quickly. Great dam to ski on, get a few bogan jet ski riders at times that are a pita. Have fun.
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

I used to go camping/fishing about 10yrs ago during the drought. Water back then was so low I imagine I wouldn't recognise the place now if it's over cap !! Still back then the fishing was good, all the camping spots I used to go to would be underwater but I'm sure there will be nice new higher up places. As mentioned further up, it is a great spot to be able to basically almost tie your boat up next to where you're camping but you'll have to gauge that when you see where the water is now. There were always adequate amenities, the toilet block / kiosk etc were all good. Was always nice and quiet in off-peak season, bet it's a bit more fun during Easter but I'm sure it'll still be great.

Should be easy to back down the ramp
    Attached Images Attached Images

P1010005.jpgHah wow that's awesome. Thanks for the pics. That ramp used to be high and dry when she was about 4% capacity. Those signs used to look like a pimple on a pumpkin so far up the bank that the concrete never reached the water ! Just scrounged around my photo directory, this is from Aug 2003 !

Looking back from the boat to the same camp spot shows how the camping area shrinks as the dam fills.
    2007 it was aprox 30%
    2010 it was aprox 80%+
    Attached Images Attached Images