Thread: NSW Operation Tow Safe catches unsafe

NSW Operation Tow Safe catches unsafe

Found this ad for the cockroaches.

More than 100 tow boaters fined up to $750
    Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) recent campaign to raise awareness about towing safety in NSW resulted in more than 100 boaters being fined.

RMS Boating Safety Officers conducted random checks of 2403 vessels on NSW waterways during Operation Tow Safe which ran from January 12 to 25.

This resulted in 104 fines and 123 formal warnings being issued and shows the majority of people -- 90.6 per cent -- were doing the right thing.

The most common fine issued was for lifejacket non compliance -- which can be anything from not carrying enough lifejackets for all on board, to not keeping them in good condition to not wearing them when legally required to.

There were nine towing related fines for sports like water-skiing and wakeboarding.

“The most significant towing issues occurred in the Sydney region where there were three penalty notices issued for towing without an observer and three for towing more than three people," explains the RMS Acting Manager Boating Safety and Regional Operations, Scott Kidd.

“The worst single example of non-compliance also occurred in the Sydney region when an unregistered personal watercraft with an unlicensed driver not wearing a lifejacket was found towing a person not wearing a lifejacket without an observer in a no-towing zone," Mr Kidd adds.

Two fines were issued in the Tweed area for towing using under age observer and not maintaining the required 30 metres safe distance from a bridge at speed.

In the southern part of the State, a vessel less than 4.8 metres was observed towing two people wearing lifejackets. However, the vessel was found to be short two lifejackets for the number of people on board.

In the Murray/ Inland area a six week old baby was observed in a speed boat while towing at a high speed.

A vessel was also observed towing with an eight year old observer when legally the observer must be more than 16 or the holder of a young adult boat licence.

"A compliance rate of more than 90 per cent is encouraging but it is crucial all boaters who engage in towing activities are aware of their responsibilities,"Mr Kidd said.

Since November 2011, there have been nine towing related incidents resulting in one fatality, eight serious injuries and one minor injury.

For more information on towing and boat safety go to www.maritime.nsw.gov.au and http://www.boatforlife.com.au/tow-safe/tow-safety/

THE WORST OFFENDER
    The total fine for the worst single example of non-compliance during the campaign was $750 (operate PWC tow person without observer - $500 and person on PWC not wear appropriate lifejacket - $250). The same person received formal warnings for another four offences -- tow person by PWC within 60 metres of person or non-powered vessel, $250; operate vessel tow more than three people without approval, $100; master unregistered vessel, $250; holder contravene condition of marine safety licence, $100.

Re: NSW Operation Tow Safe catches unsafe

I wonder how many of the fines were for not wearing a lifejacket by people not from NSW?
    Wearing a lifejacket is mandatory at all times for a lot of cases in NSW.
    One been if your in a boat alone in NSW then you must wear a lifejacket.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Bloody hell.... I hope that doesn't come in to Qld. I hate those 'one size fits all' types of regulations.

A nice day on the water by yourself shouldn't require a life jacket. Sometimes it's a sensible precaution but often not.

And it goes the other way around too Walrus fella.
    In NSW the size for boat rego numbers is 150mm. When they come to QLD to holiday they're illegal.

It just goes to show you have to be aware of the regulations if you travel interstate.
    Hell.....best if you check the regulations in your own State every now again as they change that damned often (it seems)

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    Bloody hell.... I hope that doesn't come in to Qld. I hate those 'one size fits all' types of regulations.
    Won’t come here, don’t panic
    They are just warming the southerners up how cool wearing a life jacket is, as they will be wearing them in the state of origin.
    Its the only way they can save themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by banksmister View Post
    Won’t come here, don’t panic
    They are just warming the southerners up how cool wearing a life jacket is, as they will be wearing them in the state of origin.
    Its the only way they can save themselves.
    Nah.... If you start wearing life jacket protectors on a footy field that's called Gridiron.

The yanks are always ready for flash flood on any field.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Maybe they should send an update of all the rules to all those who have a registered vessel. There are that many changes to the rules that people don't know about, there are honest people out there getting fined for offences they don't know about.
    The Life Jacket sign is one of these rules. They are knuckling down on it in the gulf at the moment and it's the poor buggers that haven't been told by someone, or that don't buy the magazines or frequent forums to hear about it that are getting done.
    Surely with the cost of our rego they can send out updates when they occur, we get that much other crap from government bodies in the mail, surely they can do this.

Corry
    Cheers
    Corry

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    And it goes the other way around too Walrus fella.
    In NSW the size for boat rego numbers is 150mm. When they come to QLD to holiday they're illegal.

It just goes to show you have to be aware of the regulations if you travel interstate.
    Hell.....best if you check the regulations in your own State every now again as they change that damned often (it seems)

Your are OK with a interstate reg boat in QLD for rego number size aren't you?

NSW really is teh Nanny state with so many rules and regs and changes all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    Your are OK with a interstate reg boat in QLD for rego number size aren't you?

NSW really is teh Nanny state with so many rules and regs and changes all the time.
    Big grey area Cormy. A bit like the poor buggers around the Tweed area and bag and size limits. Legal one side and illegal the other side.
    In QLD all vessels over 4hp need to be registered. What about NSW? 5hp isn't it before rego required?
    What happens if your a NSW resident and bring your 5hp boat to QLD for holidays? The rules clearly state In Queensland, all ships with a motor or auxiliary of 3 kW or more (over 4 hp) must be registered when on the water
    It also states your ship will be allocated registration symbols and then goes on the say the correct sizing for all the types of vessels. There is no mention of for vessels registered in QLD)
    Those along the border would have more understanding of these grey areas but I have heard stories of out of state boats getting done for undersized rego stickers.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Inf...at-owners.aspx

What about the poor buggers from The Territory if they come for a holiday? They don't have boat rego do they?

Poor buggers? No boat rego, no speed limit roads...

Maybe we could get a petition to have the Territory extend a long finger eastwards, a thin slice off Qld starting at the Tweed and north to tip of Fraser.

I am a born and bred Qld'r but I am seeing the gradual nannification of our lives. Maybe the Territory would be a better bet?

Well my quick search about visiting boats came up with this - It makes no sense. Guess I was assuming some common sense and just like interstate cars . Weird how teh superyachts don't see to have a problem?
    http://www.bow2stern.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=319