Thread: Super Trawler, hangs around. ???

Exclamation Super Trawler, hangs around. ???

Australian Recreational Fishing Foundation
    The Voice of Australia’s Recreational Fishing Community

Media Release – 6 February 2013

Honour your commitments on the Super Trawler

The Australian Recreational Fishing Foundation (ARFF) has called on the Government to honour its commitments to all Australians in relation to the Super Trawler issue.

The call comes in response to the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA) asking for comment on an application for the Super Trawler the FV Abel Tasman to process fish from the small pelagic fishery.

ARFF Managing Director Allan Hansard said “This appears to be a backdoor way for Seafish Tasmania to get the Super Trawler access to our waters. We understand that under the application, the FV Abel Tasman will act as a processing and freezing vessel to be fed by smaller trawlers that will do the fishing.

“However, under the definitions in the Fisheries Management Act and the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Act, fishing means ‘the processing, carrying or transhipping of fish that have been taken’. As such, this application should be covered by the same legislation that has banned the super trawler from fishing for 2 years.

“We call on Minister Burke to do what he said he would do and immediately form the Review Committee to assess the fishing activities of the Super Trawler.

“The ARFF position on fishing activities in the SPF has not changed.

“We want to see the Review Committee commission the science required to comprehensively determine the stock and movement of all small pelagic fish across the SPF before there is any decision made on how the fishery should be fished or processed. Particularly when the proposed fishing methods fall outside the realm of existing science in relation to potential impact.

This is not good enough and the Government should act now to address this issue.”

The Australian Recreational Fishing Foundation (ARFF) is the newly formed national peak body representing Australia’s Recreational Fishing Community and is supported by the Australian Fishing Trade Association (AFTA), Recfish Australia, Game Fishing Association Australia (GFAA), Sunfish Queensland, Recfishwest, Recreational Fishing Alliance of NSW (RFANSW), Underwater Skindivers and Fishermen’s Association (USFA), Australian National Sportfishing Association (ANSA), Professional Fishing Instructors and Guides Association (PFIGA), Victorian Recreational Fishing Peak Body Peak Body (VRFish), Australian Underwater Federation (AUF), Tasmanian Association for Recreational Fishing Inc (TARFish) and Keep Australia Fishing (KAF).

ENDS
    Media Contact: Alice Logan Edwards
    Mob: 0419 464 270
    Email: alice.loganedwards@afta.net.au
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Super Trawler, hangs around. ???

I hope the Super Trawler stays here. On the bottom in about 50m off Point Lookout would suit me fine
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

So this super trawler wants to become a floating freezer ship? I have absolutely no problem with that. If however, this is just a way of making a buck for the next 2 years to keep it in Australian waters before it starts trawling, then we need to target the trawling not the freezer.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Hey does anyone know what the Federal Coalition's stance is on this thing? Will they uphold they current situation or will they revoke it? Will they get rid of it altogether? I thought that I read some where that it was the libs who got the ball rolling in the first place. I could be wrong on that, just trying to find out if we need to direct some pressure onto the opposition now that the election has been called.
    Ozy
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Bump.
    anyone???
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

I had some information sent to me recently that suggest the tuna line fishery used more live bait than what the super trawler was allocated. I think it was the "we Fish" facebook page. Will see if I can dig it up. Sounded like bullshit to me, but I questioned it and got some response. I did not follow up because I am pretty much done supporting rec fishing thanks to the bashing that people get here who do.