Thread: Anyone know why it's only a small SF barge and big red cat to Straddie now?

Anyone know why it's only a small SF barge and big red cat to Straddie now?

Not been to Straddie since last year but I see now there was a merger and Straddie Ferries has merged with Big Red Cat. Also the 2 big barges are now up at Townsville and the only SF one now is a the little one. Don't know why that happened. Can't wait to get back over at Easter though at Flinders.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Re: Anyone know why it's only a small SF barge and big red cat to Straddie now?

Probably dropped one from the schedule for maintenance I would think. Be awful hard to drop one out of the line for a month to get serious work done if you did not have multiple boats.
    Jack.

Thanks mate. They say the 2 big car ferries are now working in Townsville...

Cheers

there are 4 ferrry's operating on good friday, though most morning trips are already booked out, i booked about a month ago and could only get the small ferry at 8-45, 8am and 9am had already been booked out

Quote Originally Posted by robsue View Post
    there are 4 ferrry's operating on good friday, though most morning trips are already booked out, i booked about a month ago and could only get the small ferry at 8-45, 8am and 9am had already been booked out
    Thanks mate - they have an extra service on the Thursday too. I managed to organise to get over there then.

Cheers

does it have something to do with that ding bat Bligh's decision to stop sand mining? You used to see lots of trucks coming back on the big blue ones but if you don't have the demand then they would be expensive to operate. Especially compared to a cat. I have heard there is huge demand for barges up north due to dredging etc at the ports up that way. probably up there earning squillions!!

yep that would be it ..cheers

Prices have gone up too haven't they?? Now $146??

The big red double deck straddie barge is in Gladstone supplying fantasy island.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

yep its getting expensive and service has gone down the pooper.....for me it spells 1 things....New Straddy Barge Company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Living the dream, Barry

Yep expensive. Not worth it for less than 5 days I reckon. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Yep expensive. Not worth it for less than 5 days I reckon. Cheers
    Still cheap compared to Moreton!!