Thread: Luring for Murray Cod & Yellowbelly

Luring for Murray Cod & Yellowbelly

Can somebody tell me what they think the best angle is for a rod while trolling for the above freshwater fish? A lot of people say it is between 10 and 2 oclock. Others say it doesn't really matter and that the closer the tip of the rod is to the water, then the deeper the lure will go.
    Thoughts??

Re: Luring for Murray Cod & Yellowbelly

Yeah, where it ends up in the holder usually does me. Generally as flat as possible usually to get the biggest spread between lures, which can be pretty handy when running lures that dive to 40 or 50 foot, doesn't take much to tangle lures running close at that depth.

Where ever you are comfortable is best but with that being said to low and you can't drop your rod back and float your lure over snags, to high and you can't strike to set your hooks. I hold my rod at all times so I can feel whats going on back there all the time.

Cheers rossco

Just hold ya rod and feel the lure. I usually hold it low to the water, say 10 o'clock angle so you can strike it when you get hit and guide it around any snaggie logs. Good luck!