Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yeppoon-When a plan comes together

Yeppoon-When a plan comes together

It had been a long time since I had taken the 4.8 center console out wide to get it dirty so I thought it was about time. The last bunch of trips I had been out on were with JT and even though I always enjoy fishing with JT you get to a point where you start to miss being in control. By that I mean driving and positioning the boat and also fiddling with the electronics, so I passed up an opportunity with JT and got the 4.8 set up for offshore.
    I was looking a bit sad there for a deckie until I met up with good mate brenden at school drop off. I asked him what he was doing here as he was supposed to be on shift. “Nah took it off”, he said. “Well that’s great, want to go fishing tomorrow?” and that was that as I now had a deckie.
    We left the Rosslyn Bay ramp early to try for an early grunter bite. We would head up around the pinnacles which is about 40km’s north, try for a grunter, then jig some livies and then head north east to try for some reefies.
    We arrived at our mark in quick time with minimal swell. We were quick to get baits down and pretty much hooked up straight away. I landed an undersize grunter which was a great sign and on the next drift Brenden put our first keeper in the boat which made us relax a bit more. The very next drop and I got smashed. Some big strong runs straight up had me calling shark but then it slowed and started to put in those big thumping headshakes. I changed my tune to cod before a big pinkish body lay boatside. I looked around for the gaff but couldn’t see it so the hands went straight in the gills and pulled it onboard. Both myself and Brenden were in shock as it was a great capture while we were chasing grunter. 9.5kg of large mouth nannygai had us high fiving and on the mat he went. 87cm and a new PB and it was taken on the new squirtz fly from PE Tackle.

We spent the next few hours adding to our tally of grunter before we started jigging livies.

With good shows our spirits were high but we were disappointed as they were hard to come by. We wound up with about 8 pike and a couple of these mongrel looking things which had a bit of go about them and were shiny so we put them in the tank with the pike.

We were flying on the way out to the reef with already a great feed secured in the esky. Imagine our surprise when we started drifting the fern country and struggling to lose bait and get bites. The next 2-3 hours were like this and all I could think is we should have stayed at the wreck and get some more grunter. We found a new bit of ground in the dog leg/cock & balls area (a local name for a gps contour) and I had clean forgot about the pike. Well the dead baits weren’t working so I put a pike down. Immediately it got nailed and up comes a nice trout. I put another on and up comes a red throat. By this time Brenden goes “stuff this give me one of those” and before long he is hooked up as well. Imagine our surprise when a red hits the surface and was hauled aboard. We pretty much turned each one of those pike into a decent fish until we had the mongrel looking things left.

I put one down and do you think I could get a hit on it…..heck no. After a while we decided to hit one final mark on the way home which was a wreck. I looked at the final live mongrel and said to Brenden “do you want this” as I was going to through it over the side. “Yeah give it here” he said. We drifted across the wreck and received not much interest at all. We were well away from it when Brenden mentioned “these bloody mongrel things must be the pox of the ocean” and right on cue he got smashed. Thumping headshakes had us hoping and Brenden was rewarded with a final red emperor for the trip. We did piss our selves laughing that it was caught on the “mongrel thing” and it topped off a great day on the water.

Pic of the wreck we pulled this red off

The livies definitely saved us out wide this trip with nothing interested in our dead bait, not even the hussar which drive us mad normally. The squirtz flys I was using from PE Tackle went really well and also nailed there fair share of grunter, I was also impressed with the hookup with the new prescion point hooks they were rigged on. Overall it was a fantastic trip with great company and it was great to get the center console back in the game and I love it when a plan comes together. Cheers.

overall result of the day
    Fishing can be defined as "A jerk on one end of the rod, waiting for a jerk on the other".
    "Fishing was around along time before you darling"

Re: Yeppoon-When a plan comes together

few more pics

cheers from boony
    Fishing can be defined as "A jerk on one end of the rod, waiting for a jerk on the other".

Nice work buddy and great pics of the fish . Looked pretty dark in the morning ya lucky fair bit of floatage around with the freash
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Good one Boony! Great fish mate,
    Awesome!
    Josh
    Yalta Craft 555HC, "BIMINI TWIST", home port Gladstone
    Member of the Yalta Craft Appreciation Society

Fantastic report with some good fish there also.

Hey Boooony do you rig those swivels up yourself mate? They look the goods!
    Oh crap looking weather as well (I was stuck at work!)

Josh
    Yalta Craft 555HC, "BIMINI TWIST", home port Gladstone
    Member of the Yalta Craft Appreciation Society

Hey josh, yeah rig the gangs up my self. Normally use a flat screw driver and hammer to spread the eye then use shogun rolling swivels between the hook. Haven't had a swivel fail yet so the shoguns seem to be the goods. Then just tap the eye closed with hammer on the concrete. I do it like this because the hooks seem to be high tensile. Let me know if u want any more info.

Cheers from boony

Good feed there Mr X and Mrs X will be pleased with fresh food for a while.

Great res on the pics too... cheers

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeBoony View Post
    Hey josh, yeah rig the gangs up my self. Normally use a flat screw driver and hammer to spread the eye then use shogun rolling swivels between the hook. Haven't had a swivel fail yet so the shoguns seem to be the goods. Then just tap the eye closed with hammer on the concrete. I do it like this because the hooks seem to be high tensile. Let me know if u want any more info.

Cheers from boony
    Typical dodgy mine worker.....

And he's an underground one to Boot
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

top report mate well done on the PBs

Good stuff Booney. Got any shots of the silver mongrel things? You've got me curious!

and how sharp are those PE perfect point boony ? you liking them ?

Nice fish there mate,looks like you had another good trip good stuff.
    CHEERS AND BEERS

Quote Originally Posted by jtpython View Post
    And he's an underground one to Boot
    JT
    The best type of miners not like u open cut sissies

No pics of the mongrel things lump sorry, like a little trevally but more slender, I think Jt jigged a couple on his last trip as well. They have got some go about them they took a bit of chasing down even with the scoop net were tuff as nails

Those hooks seem great Sean, razor sharp and with the gang I seem to get a high hookup rate too.

Cheers from boony