Thread: Is this too light for Snapper

Is this too light for Snapper

Got a Berkly dropshot 2-4 kg 7'2" with a Shimano Symeter 3000.
    Would this be ok for snapper on shallow reefs to 30m ?
    If so, what lb braid would you spool it with ?

Will be fishing with plastics.

Thanks,
    Can someone, anyone please like my facebook page? I need at least 30 likes.... Please

http://www.facebook.com/suncoastcivilwater

Re: Is this too light for Snapper

That will do the job mate. The rod may be a little light but i have seen them caught on them with 2500 reels. I use 20lb when I plastic for snapper with my 4000. My mate uses 12lb on a 2500 but he does get busted up a lot too. Maybe try 20lb first. U won't get a lot of line on but snapper don't have massive runs like pelagics.

no, not too light at all providing you are not too concerned about the grey suits eating your meal before you get it to the side. i use a 2-4kg stick with fin nor 2500 or shimano sienna 2500. braid of 6 - 12lb would be sufficient. just remember that setting your drag correctly is the important part. i also like to load the spool fully with braid so you have at least 200m available.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Mate if your just fishing the bay and going to be throwing mainly around the islands etc you'll be fine with that set up I run 10lb power pro on mine mate if it's the bay I would go lighter than 20lb, just my opinion though mate but I have got some nice snapper on my 2-4kg pfluger with 6lb. my preferred setup for snapps in the bay is my 3-6kg pfluger & 3000 stradic fj 10lb braid and 10lb fc leader. Don't be afraid to go light I say increases my bite rate and I can cast a hell of alot further with my 10lb setup over my cape moreton setup which is a 5000 stradic, 20lb braid on a pfluger 6-10kg though saying that I have got my PB's out there on my 3000 stradic 10lb, let the drag do its business and you'll be sweet.

Will be fishing the close grounds off Mooloolaba, so will be with in 2nm of shore, so the depth will be anything from 5-30m. I went with the 3000 symeter as it holds more line than the 2500 but is the same size. I like fishing light in the river ect, so i tinks I will spool up with 10lb for snaps out the front. This winter will be my first chasing the Snaps out the front, so any more Ideas on plastic weights, sizes to get me hooked will be great.

Thanks,
    Can someone, anyone please like my facebook page? I need at least 30 likes.... Please

http://www.facebook.com/suncoastcivilwater

My inshore outfit runs 8lb Microfuse with 10-16lb leader. It has knocked over a couple of 80cm Snapps
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"