Thread: Cheap Windows 8 Pro Upgrade

Cheap Windows 8 Pro Upgrade

Hey Guys
    Microsoft has a special on Windows 8 Pro but it ends tonight at midnight.
    If anyone is thinking of upgrading,grab a set of numbers and download it before midnight.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/w..._Meet_FPP_Null

Lance

Re: Cheap Windows 8 Pro Upgrade

Grab it is you want it cheap, but I wouldn't be installing it till the first service pack is released and the subsequent plethora of hotfixes for said service pack.

Just some advice from someone in the IT industry...

Ben.

I might just check that out.

Bugger I just looked at the date of this post, so now I have to pay $400.00??
    In that case will be a while before I upgrade
    Actually it still works, either it is not the 1st in America or they just extended it.

Dan

Had a look last night and seems you have to install it, not just buy it and install it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausfish View Post
    Had a look last night and seems you have to install it, not just buy it and install it later.
    Yes it is a 2GB download
    It looks like it will take at least an hour to download and install itself.
    A lot of computers they sell at the shops seem to be already running it.

But yes give yourself 2 hours of internet connection and 2GB of bandwidth if you decide to download it.
    (at present it say estimated time @ 2 hrs, but that generally goes down as the download continues), but I would say you would be lucky to do it under an hour.

It does give you a product key, so it should be good to install later on.

Dan

We did 2 downloads in an hour each.
    That time clock started out at 5 hours but soon adjusted.
    There was no need to install it once downloaded.
    You are given the choice after the download finishes to install it on any drive straight away,install later on or make an ISO file to burn onto a dvd for later installs.
    I have a installer package on my desktop now to click on and run the installer as well as the ISO Image to burn to disk.
    Your product activation number is also sent via email.
    Good thing with this one was it is usable on 5 machines.

wow be careful downloading this, I got it now and it wipes all your gear and is IE/msn dominant.
    Personally from first impressions I would say wait a while, its a bit ugly ..

Nothing good to say about it as yet.

It does not even appear to keep the windows 7 desktop environment, and replaces it with some rather poorly designed GUI.

Thanks

Dan

If you are happy with your nice desktop and browsing choose then beware
    The GUI is pretty strange to navigate.

It does seem to browse quicker but the buck stops there.
    I think it is a beta they released as a version to make a few dollars.

don't download it unless your ready to stuff around with it for a few a days at least.

Dan

The rumors around are don't go near Windows 8, get Windows 7 home premium for the home PC. Bought a new desk top tower just before Xmas and the guy that builds them also recommended WIn 7. $108 Supplied with tower not installed and its going great.

Why would u ever get a brand new MS OS? Much handier (and easier) to take ur pick of the older, supported (sort of), updated (semi) working ones....

If u want a better browsing experience go anything other than IE
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

As I suspected it does a lot of things I did not want but I did click save "personal files only", it is interesting and seems to be internet media based, maybe not so bad.

But nothing special, I cant really see any special features, I can tweak it, re -personalize it again.

Actually after my initial shock it is not too bad... just not what I expected, will take quite a bit of time to work things out and see what are the advantages.

The worst thing is the initial instal looked to me like a downgrade, though it does do some decent things that are useful.

My first impression might be a bit personal as some folk might like it.

Dan