Thread: Moreton Island and Optus coverage?

Moreton Island and Optus coverage?

Hi All,
    Looking at doing our first weekend on Moreton Island next weekend.
    Wondering about Optus mobile coverage over there?
    If needed, I can toss a telstra prepaid sim in an old phone to maintain contact with the Brisbane (and others in the party on Moreton), but if I can avoid the cost, I'm happy to do so.
    While I know that no contact with the outside world would make the trip more relaxing, I need to be able to contact the kids over the weekend.

Any one want to weigh in with their experience?

Cheers!

Re: Moreton Island and Optus coverage?

Telstra is the only one that is supposed to work away from tangalooma but a mate of mine had his optus phone over there a while ago and he was getting a signal most of the places i was getting a telstra signal so things must have improved. That was on the eastern beach anyway

Yeah, I think I might spend the $30 on a Telstra sim and some prepaid credit, just to be on the safe side.
    Plus, even if i did get coverage with Optus, I'd probably just get bombarded with work crap the whole time I'm away anyway!

I had service from Optus to about half a mile from hutchies in December and right across the bay.
    Jack.

You should get a prepaid vodafone sim, you might get reception at the ramp....

Quote Originally Posted by Damned67 View Post
    Yeah, I think I might spend the $30 on a Telstra sim and some prepaid credit, just to be on the safe side.
    Plus, even if i did get coverage with Optus, I'd probably just get bombarded with work crap the whole time I'm away anyway!
    Just make sure the phone you use for Telstra is Nextg compatible. That'll give the best coverage.

Just to update:
    Spent my 4 days on Moreton. Spent the whole time North of Middle Track. Seemed to have Optus coverage everywhere I went, with the exception of about 1/2 way along Middle Track itself. Also didn't go further North than Blue Lagoon on the Eastern side, so can't comment on that either....
    So really not a lot of info for anyone looking for it, eh?

We camped moreton last September and my normal phone is optus, I bought a cheap telstra 3g thinking that would be better suited over there. My handsfree can run two phones at once so I had both on and to my surprise I had better coverage with optus for most of the places we went. On the eastern side of the island I could barely get any Telstra but had quite strong optus, I think the towers I was getting reception from were the glasshouse mountains area if my memory serves me right. On the western side of Moreton I found Telstra was stronger but I was still getting optus. We camped at NW zone and I could still use both phones.