Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30sec Oztent in a flog down. 5 stars.

30sec Oztent in a flog down. 5 stars.

Well i picked a bad weekend to go to Iluka camping didnt I. Spent Aus day and sunday camping at iluka riverside caravan park and we sure copped it. Would of had to have got over 100mils in about 12 hours i reckon. I was hoping to be giving a fishing report but instead i will be giving a report on how impressed i was with the tent. I knew we were in for bad weather so i packed all the side panels and front panel and made sure that the pegs were in hard. Well the wind was asolutely howling and the rain was flogging down for hours and hours and the tent stayed water tight, not even a drop and didnt budge a bit. Very very happy. I have camped all my life, gone through nearly every tent imagineable to finally get one that suits me and the family. I got the RV5 with peaked roof and all the side and front panels. Was very hesitant in spending the money and so was the wife but she woke me at 2am in the morning halfway through the flog down and said she was happy i spent the money!! Buying the Fly is a must for all those thinking of gettin an oztent, dont skimp on it.
    JN

Re: 30sec Oztent in a flog down. 5 stars.

Good news, I've also been thinking of one of these tents too. Good feedback.

i've had one for 5 or more years now it is the best tent out there . have riden out a few storms on fraser and inskip in it . well worth the money

I would have to agree with you all, i bought my first RV3 about 8 years ago and travel to the Kimberly's from NQLD for 7 weeks and loved it. I also used it at Kombaloomba dam and after 4 days of non stop rain we decided to head home but it never leaked. I've since sold it as the family was expanding and now have bought 2 RV5's. Used them for the fist time on a trip out to Cobold Gorge last year and my opinion is still the same, could not be happier.

Liprippa,
    That is the plan for me mate. I bought the one rv5 to see how it would go with the intention of getting another if it performed well, as i have two young kids. Do you join them together to form one big tent?? I love the option of just putting up the main section for quick one night stays in 30secs or setting up the whole thing for longer stays or bad weather which does take a bit longer, in my experience about half an hour for the whole set up.
    JN

I've got an RV3 and it leaks after a few days of non stop rain but I didn't have the fly on. I won't get caught out again though.

The fly is the key. When i first bought the tent i asked the sales man if the fly is a must. He said the tent is fine without it so i didnt by it. After a few overnighters i experienced condensation forming on the inside of the tent. The tent got quite hot inside during the day. I went out and got the fly and this resolved both issues..
    JN

Fellas just to clarify, are you only talking about the 30sec jet-tent Oz tent or the older normal RV Oz tents?

Have been intending to get the older school oztents (as 2 RV 4's or 5's with connecting annexes / rooms, due to the fact that we are a family of 4 and the 2 kids are soon old enough to start camping. The only competitor we had in mind was the likes of a coleman geo 9 or the like, with 2 separate rooms and a centre "living" area.

I like the idea of having modular units so as mentioned you can put up just one section for quick stays or for Lads-only fishing trips, but for longer family trips you can add all the bits and pieces for comfort.

I always wondered with the Oztents how watertight they'd be when you started connecting separate RV tents with "living room" annexes.

I borrowed one of these from a mate as I was interested in getting one as I had heard good things about them. Thing was so hot. Never leaked in the rain. It didn't have a fly. Any info on the net I could look at regarding the fly. Did it really make that much difference to heat.

Jewienewie,
    The two RV5's zipp together using a gutter system (sold seperatly) which is pretty easy to attach. When joined together there is a good amount of room between the tents to have a table, gas cooker etc. I havn't yet used the sides for the anex but will come in handy for privicy and wind/rain. I have a family of 5 and find having the kids in a seperate tent works really well (if you know what I mean). On the subject of hot the only way to keep cool druring the heat of the day IMO is to find a cool swimming spot and some amber fluid of your liking.
    Franco,
    I am talking about the 30 sec OZ-tent, not sure what you are talking about Jet-tent.

Franco, not to sure what you mean either bout the jet tent, i am refering to the 30sec Oztent. I had all the panels up, peaked roof, side and front panels, and as said earlier, not a drop entered.

jclay1773, They do get hot in the direct sun. The fly does help with this but not completely. I just make sure that i have all windows and vents open early to keep it cool as possible but as liprippa stated, a swim and a beer under the shelter fixes that.

Liprippa, Yeah i know what you mean, looking forward to getting the other half so i can get to the other half !!!!!
    JN

This is the jet tent http://www.jettent.com/
    I wonder if anyone has had one of these up in a big blow?

Funny story about OZ-tents, to me anyway. My younger brother took his OZ-tent out on it's maiden voyage a few years back which happened to be also a very windy day. When setting it up it was picked up by the wind 10 feet into the sky then catapulted into a nearby tent. The OZ-tent frame was bent but the other tent didn't fair so well. The frame was bent back into shape and is still going today. Moral of the story is pegg your tent down first, i think it may of cost him a few beers but the enterainment to all the other campers was pricless.

Thanks for the reply. I found that they were hot at night too. Our daughter was sleeping in our usual tent and it had a much better wind flow

Yeah mate,
    i must admit for the size of the window at the back and the small ones on the side i thought it would be better but i havent found it to be a problem at night yet, although i have all windows, doors fully open. (i love a draft). I have had much better air flow in other tents and had much bigger arguments in putting those tents up. Its all about compromising, as long as its me doing the compromising.....
    JN