Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Bacon

Homemade Bacon

Well got bored as didnt get the boat out with work so decided to make some homemade bacon. Quite a difference to store bought stuff and who doesnt like bacon? too much bacon isnt enough.

ANyway you will need ( from my research on the web but do your own)

Pork Belly
    Curing Salt
    1/4 Cup of Maple Syrup
    1/4 CUp of brown sugar
    (other spices if you like)

Hardest thing is to work out ratio of curing salt to pork belly and where to get curing salt from, there are suppliers around Brisbane (Vadals) but i got some handfuls from the local butcher. Some recipies have only curing salt and some have a combination of that and Kosher Salt ( ie without iodine)

Curing ratio of curing salt I used is to add about approx 3/4 Tablespoon for every half kilo of meat ( others say for 2.5 kilos of belly 2 ounces Kosher Salt and 2 teaspoons of Curing Salt) I ended up using about 3 1/2 tablespoons for a 2.2 kilo belly.

Anyway rub the pork belly with all the ingredients, place in Zip Lock bag in fridge for 7 days ( turn it every day) Dont worry about the liquid forming. Take it out, rinse very well, test for saltiness if you like with a test fry, ( if too salty soak it ) and place on drying rack like wifes biscuit tray and put back into fridge for another 24 hours. You do this to form a pellicle on the bacon for the smoke. I just rinsed it well and dried in fridge and it didnt turn out too salty.

After that its basically smoke it very slow on the webber (or oven if dont have one but you wont get the smoke),, its a dry smoke not gettting over 200F. I used hickory wood . Smoke until bacon gets internal temp of 145-150 and then cut of rind ( make pork crackiling with that!) and cool it quickly ( i put on ice) then into fridge, then slice as thick as you want.

Here are pics of the process , cut it thick, has a nice smokey flavour, tasted great and isnt watery like some you get.

PS: Think you should satisfy yourselves with curing salt ratios. ( One American site says 1 Tablespoon of Mortons curing slat for every pound or half kilo, others say its too much) Some use a ratio of that and Kosher salt.

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tangles KFC

Re: Homemade Bacon

looks good mike,

Looks great Tangles. I do my own as well. Be very carefull with the curing salt. There are a couple of varieties and you need to know exactly how much Sodium Nitrate is in the mix. I use Curing Salt #1 at 6.25%. Curing salt #2 has Nitrates as well and should be used for air dried meats. If your Nitrite level is too low then bacteria can grow (Botulism). If its too high it is highly toxic. Places like Misty Gully provide the straight Sodium Nitrate as well as the various curing salts
    http://www.mistygully.com.au/catalog...hp?cPath=57_41
    I use a cryovac bag to make it easy to handle a dry rub cure like yours or a ziplock for a wet cure. Both work well.
    I use a Hark gas smoker and even do a couple of hours with an Amazen Pellet Cold smoke generator to really give it a good smoke flavour.
    http://www.mistygully.com.au/catalog...roducts_id=442
    Skipjack just does his your way (hot smoke) and he is very happy with the results.
    Did you use a meat slicer or just a sharp knife. It looks more even than I usually get
    Great stuff Mike, we might have to have a special section at the cookoff for homemade bacon
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

All of this and breakfast is 10 hours away!!! I am going to salivate to drowning tonight i think! Well done Tangles.
    Jack.

mmm breakie at horses place or tangles place...i will bring the eggs.lol

thanks fellas,

Horse, yes its a minefield. The butcher I went go to does his own bilitong, dry beer sticks etc , and used to bacon as well... i dont know what exact curing salt mix he gave me but he knew his stuff and said it was the right stuff for what i was doing.. boned the pig side for me, got ribs etc as well...it was a good way to buy as the price they charge for ribs now is silly. Will doing a few more slabs this weekend. Am thinking of a pellet smoker,

Will take you on at the cook off for bacon!!! PS sliced with a sharp filleting knife

but i reckon a Bacon Explosion is the go,, kilo or two of mince flattened into a square , add heaps of cheese, Texas chilli, Jalpeno bbq sauce (homeade) onions etc in the middle, roll then wrap completely in bacon, sprinkle a rub on it then smoke... if that wont give someone a heart attack or heart burn nothing will! with this rain i know what im doing....beer and bbq
    Tangles KFC

Looks fantastic, mouth is watering looking at those photos!

"Will take you on at the cook off for bacon!!! "

Challenge accepted
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

come on fellas i will bring the eggs..i promise i will be good.lol

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    "Will take you on at the cook off for bacon!!! "

Challenge accepted
    Tanlges's bacon in Murf's batter.......cook that for me and your tin will be full!!!!

Muddy will have to be the judge... and Roscoe, bring those eggs to Agnes!
    Tangles KFC

Rosco and I will judge with eggs.

Trust us.......you'll know who comes last!!!

bloody hell fellas.will bring the eggs if i make it to agnes.....fark the cook off i am just interested in the beer/anything goes at agnes...btw cannot fish but can drink.lol

Everyone is farked at the cookoff first night ! then fish, with you two ferrets judging with eggs, i can run faster than Horse
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    Tanlges's bacon in Murf's batter.......cook that for me and your tin will be full!!!!
    Deep Fried Battered Bacon mmmmmmmmm. Can it get any better than that
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"