Thread: something to think about..

something to think about..

Re: something to think about..

I've been thinking about this lately. With all the effort I went to recently to find a suitable boat, I'd hate to have to try and replace it again. I have a trailer safety lock, Klamp It and a coupling padlock (that little tab to keep the coupling engaged).

I wonder what the next best thing I can do is. I have thought about a 20mm masonry bolt (with the head ground and rounded so it can't be undone) run through hardened steel chain and hardened steel padlock, but any clown that turns up with a cordless grinder will cut through it pretty quickly. A grinder will cut through a Klamp It pretty quickly also. The Hitch Helmet looks quite good as additional protection.

I have been trying to think of something I can weld together (such as plate steel) and have a protected padlock inside it.

It seems the best prevention is to have the boat out of sight from the street, either in a garage or backyard. But even that's no certainty.

Anybody have any great ideas on this?

Re: something to think about..

Unfortunately it is a case of making your trailer/boat just a bit harder than someone else's to steal. I use a safety clamp at the ramp as it stays ont he trailer at all times whether in use or not. I have several other more effective deterrants at home that will make it very difficult and dangerous for a thief to take something of mine.