Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crabbers warned: you will be caught

Crabbers warned: you will be caught

Queensland crabbers are being cautioned to stick to the rules this summer after two recreational fishers were fined more than $2000 for interfering with commercial crab pots.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) acting district officer Chris Watts said crab pot interference and other illegal crabbing practices were major compliance issues for the patrol.

“After witnessing the recreational crabbers interfering with his pots, the Cabbage Tree Point commercial crabber, assisted by the Redland Bay Water Police, confronted the two men,” said Mr Watts.

“On inspection, the recreational crabbers were found to be in possession of an esky half full of mud crabs, illegally taken from the commercial crabber’s pots.

“The recreational crabbers were each fined $1100 for unlawfully interfering with commercial crab apparatus and the crabs were returned to the owner.”

Compliance agencies such as QBFP, Water Police and Maritime Safety Queensland often work together to ensure effective monitoring of all areas.

“We’ve got large areas to patrol and teamwork from all agencies certainly makes the job easier,” said Mr Watts.

To combat the rising reports of crab pot interference and other illegal crabbing activities, QBFP has increased the number of patrols across the state.

“With the apparent recent increase in illegal crabbing activities, it’s obvious that some recreational fishers are just not getting the message,” said Mr Watts.

“Interfering with crabbing apparatus that are not your own is a serious offence and you will be caught.

“It’s un-Australian, significantly impacts the livelihoods of our commercial crabbers and threatens the economic viability of Queensland’s commercial crabbing industry.

“Those caught doing the wrong thing risk an on-the-spot fine of $1100—that’s a lot more expensive than the cost of buying a mud crab from your local seafood store.”

QBFP rely on the support of the public to help protect our fishing resources for future generations.

People who suspect illegal crabbing are urged to do the right thing and report it to the Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116.”

The Queensland Recreational Boating and Fishing Guide contains the fishing rules and is readily available online at www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or by calling 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter

Re: Crabbers warned: you will be caught

Fisheries Qld:

It would have been good for you to reinforce the fact that rec or pros interfering with other recreational anglers crab pots is just as serious an offence.

Otherwise you risk the perception that you are looking after the pro's interests, and not rec interests as well.

The tone of your report was all about rec interfering with pros, where thats only one part of the story. There are far too many "share farmers" out there who have no compunction about checking other peoples pots, and they dont care if the owners are pro or rec. They are just scumbags, and many of us rec guys suspect that other rec anglers are not the only culprits!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I have personally seen a Pro Crabber doing the same to a Recreational Pot, There are good and bad pros and reccos out there thats for sure,

BUT Its simple, IF ITS NOT YOURS DONT TOUCH IT!!!!

Shouldn't the tittle read " Crab theives warned: you will be caught"? Remember, not all crabbers raid others pots......

This story is too biased to be of any credibility. There needs to be representation from both rec and pro sectors in protecting their pots and catches alike.

I think the fisheries should plant bait pots with video survielance equipment nearby to nab these bastards and move them around continually. Every 24 hours come and process the images and send out the fines. I am sure it will more than cover the expenses and their wages. Just use a generic float, some telstra rope and cheap bcf pots, with or without bait (be sure they are tagged correctly though!!).
    Jack.

I can't believe they got away with an $1100 fine for stealing 1/2 an esky full of Crabs (depending on the esky this could be almost $1000 worth of Muddys). Watching their car and boat get crushed would have been a major warning to like minded scum.
    Fisheries are not interested in catching these ferals. As Tunaticer pointed out its not hard to set up cameras to catch the theives. That combined with microchipping some Crabs inside pots would make them think twice. Seize their boat afterwards and we are well on our way to a solution
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Warned, yeah right, I reckon I could head out on the bay and spend 6 months raiding crab pots and never be trouble by a fisheries patrol.

You reckon they would have caught the bloke if the owner hadn't seen what was going on and called them?

Get real. Thieving mongrels do what they like and we all know it.

Great Idea Tunaticer - sound argument - What about it Fisheries?

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    This story is too biased to be of any credibility. There needs to be representation from both rec and pro sectors in protecting their pots and catches alike.

I think the fisheries should plant bait pots with video survielance equipment nearby to nab these bastards and move them around continually. Every 24 hours come and process the images and send out the fines. I am sure it will more than cover the expenses and their wages. Just use a generic float, some telstra rope and cheap bcf pots, with or without bait (be sure they are tagged correctly though!!).

You know when a pro crabber has been through you pots because your pot will be left open with the bait removed, I had this happen to me on several occasions down the Gold Coast and finally one morning caught the culprit, unfortunately the 25 on my tinny could not keep up or catch his.

His day will come

hmm who do we fine for touching/stealing our pots thanks for the post don't think we need to be warned like 2 year olds here

“Interfering with crabbing apparatus that are not your own is a serious offence and you will be caught.

PS. LOL when ya fine my pots stolen over the years can you return them please because the tag i put on them will still be their when you fined them yea right Thank you MR Fisheries

funny how the fisheries point the finger at rec crabbers,i know a few pro crabbers in the bay who wont go past the brissy river as the pro crabbers around green ,wello and cleveland have such a bad rep for pulling anyones pot its not worth them crabbing these areas yet us rec crabbers have to get the warnings.bloody joke...then you get the so called semi pros who hammer any float in sight and get away with it.there are a few semi pro's who spring to mind with atleast 30 pots in the bay yet get away with it...really pisses me off.one uses a beam trawler numbers which has a crabbin quota but can only do use 1 fishing liecence at a time yet still trawls and the other bloke crabs at the same time....buggered if i know how this works but i really sucks....maybe police it properly fisheries and catch the real sharefarmers...no good having all the gear and no idea time to step up .pissed off rec crabber here
    cheers rosco

Sounds like were getting close to a good old fashion car burning at the ramp....... always entertainting if you haven't seen one before, most (but not all) theives get the message first time round , very cost effective.

BigE

Good to see them get caught....

There have a few commercial operators caught up north for the same thing, there would have to be about 8-10 cameras being used around the hinchinbrook area. As stated above good and bad on both sides.

I understand the frustration of many people on this issue, been there had this done to me to many times.

However retribution is sweet

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Wondering if i can get the same assistance at the the of a hat. what a f.....g joke.

I put my expensive pop up pots not far from the Maroom Hole where there was a lot of pro pots. But I kept well away from theirs only to come back next morning to find one pot missing and the other five all slashed. What right do they have to do that. Just scumbags.