Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4120 SPIN rod info wanted

Re: 4120 SPIN rod info wanted

I've just read everyone's contribution to your thread Spears and I think your conduct is more than a bit out of line.

You asked a few fairly basic questions re the 4120. Horse was the first member to do you the courtesy of offering a reply.....and a useful one I thought being the owner of a couple of 4120's myself....I note after some hours of silence and for that you didn't even give him a thanks....in fact I note you've not thanked any member for responding to your request for information.

You then have the temerity to fire a bullet at Horse for his humorous BEX and a lie down challenge to your absence of any manners.

FWIW cheers Rob

Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    I would have thought these questions would have been easy to answer,but no one seems to know so far.

What range of reels suite this rod.
    What range of fish are targeted with this rod.
    One site says it handles 6-12 Kg line.Another site says up to 6Kg line ? which one is correct.
    What weight sinker can these rods cast.
    I've used a Alvey 650, Penn Spinfisher 850 and Shimano TSS4 depending on how the rod was built up, not sure I'd buy one today but have owned about five over the years,they have quite a fast taper for their day and break just a little bit off the tip and its buggered. Eight to ten kilo probably ideal but it can just fish 6kg for bream or 12 kg fror snapper and pigs, it''s from another era when you owned three rather than thirty fishing rods.

It's not a 4120, but I've got a 4132 Snyderglas blank I got made up about six years ago. It's a one piece, low mount. Very, very soft tip.

I wouldn't put any more than 12lb mono on it with a 6" Alvey. It's OK for bream, whiting etc in light surf, but nothing heavier, and I wouldn't like to go heavier than a 6ball sinker.

It's been used at Iluka off the beach and also at the Bluff.

Seemed a good idea at the time, but it's been a bit disappointing.... horses for courses I guess.

TOL

I've got a 4120 made to suit the TSS4 but I'm not game to say anything.
    Actually I have two of them. The other is made for Alveys.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Hi.

I've got a FSU (Butterworth) 4120 and a cut down 5120 Not g's.
    Both probably the age of most of you here and then some.
    4120 not used much Bought but just sat in shed. After watching mate crack a couple off at foregrip when lobbing lures for Butters with an ABU7000.
    My 5120. tipped 6 inches. Ran an ABU 9000 red. Bushes and 2 spd. 20lb Maxima. For yrs at the Murray Mouth and 2 to 3oz lures for big Butters.
    Never ever saw one of them crack off and I tried hard a few times.
    Used it for beach fishing too lobbing decent Mullet(10\12in) and 4 oz Star at Salt Creek.

People whinging about rods getting heavy. Jeez we belted them out all day in those days and back for more the next day.
    You want sore arms. Try hanging off the end of a big Shark or Eagly off one of the jetties for 3 or 4 hrs with a game stick and Penn 9.0 or Daiwa 900 in your arms. Or a big Kingie off Rapid Bay Wharf.
    THEN you got a right to whinge.

You want to lob a 2\3\4oz lure all day. Then tackle the 50 to 80lb Butters at the end of it.
    There's not too many rods will do that all day. regardless. the old 5120 will.
    4120 just a same dia\size stick with a tendency to crack off if you backwind it too hard with a big lure or lead on.
    Anybody want mine. (ABU7000 a nice match.) Give me $20 and collect it. It's yours. (Central QLand Yeppoon)
    I don't beach\rock fish anymore. Sold the 7000.