Thread: Offshore North Straddy

Offshore North Straddy

G'day Ausfisho's - long time fan and reader of the auafish site, but have just joined due to recently owning my first boat (only a young bloke, 24 and broke!) .

I've spent a while trolling through the many threads over the past 6 months, have picked up some cracker advice. Not chasing any marks (big believer in doing the hard work to earn the fish), but was hoping someone could give me some direction regarding my 2-years-in-the-making planned trip to North Straddy in 2 weeks time with my old man. Heading over to stay at Point Lookout for a week, hoping to land a few pelagics by trolling! Never had a go, always been a bottom basher down Ballina way. Big believer in sustainable fishing and only taking what you need.

From what I've gathered on ausfish/other websites, am planning on using the following gear:
    - purchased knot2kinky 35lb wire and 130lb black magic mono leader
    - have several halco's, rapala mag's (qantas colours, blue pilchard colour and gold etc) both normal and deep diving
    - plan on launching at Amity and trolling 5-10 knots past Point lookout, look for structure, bait balls etc
    - Pink squid skirts (to make my own trolling rigs)
    - various squid skirts
    - plan on using 3 Rods to troll (even though some advise 2)
    - plan to throw a lure out each corner, a skirt in the prop wash

If that fails after a couple of days,resort to pulling out plastics and dropping a pillie/livies around good reef.

If anyone could please offer some advice, or tell me if I've got no idea, that would be greatly appreciated. Just really hoping I can give its good crack, don't imagine I'll get to fish over there for a few years.

Thanks guys,

Rexwatto

Yep sounds like your onto it, also troll past shag and boat rock and the sevens, but make sure you stay 1km off flatrock. Could also try trolling out to the waverider buoy, look for birds and bait...

Re: Offshore North Straddy

Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    Yep sounds like your onto it, also troll past shag and boat rock and the sevens, but make sure you stay 1km off flatrock. Could also try trolling out to the waverider buoy, look for birds and bait...
    Cheers for the advice Cobiaman - will check those places out and hopefully post a couple of pics up here in a couple of weeks!

Rexwatto

i think from the info you have given above your all over it. Not much more I could add really
    Living the dream, Barry

You seem to have a handle on things. I would swap your Knot2kinky wire for some good old single strand wire in about double that breaking strain. Make up some rigs to troll live Slimies etc at slow speed.
    Let us know how you go
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Thanks for the feedback fellas, really appreciate the comments. Rest assured I'll be posting plenty of pics if we go any good (need a better display picture as well)! Fingers crossed it's not a case of "all the gear and no idea".

Thanks,

Rexwatto