Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaksea Brutes and near miss in a fatal accident on the trip home.

Breaksea Brutes and near miss in a fatal accident on the trip home.

Hi all,

I decided to fish the Breaksea region again recently in hope of filming some more action in this great area. I headed for the northern area of the Breaksea first up and fished along the 100 mtr plus line for Rosy Job Fish, Parrot, Squire, Maori Cod, Pearl Perch, Comet Cod and some of the biggest Trag Jew I have ever seen. Catching Trag that far north was a real surprise but the size of them was even more impressive. It didn’t take the sharks long to find our patch of fish so I moved back in closer late afternoon and started searching for some isolated reefs between 50-60 mtrs of water. This accounted for some nice Snapper, Red emperor, Hussar, Moses Perch and Maori Cod. We anchored up for the night and found the fishing dead once the sun went down which I expected being that it was a new moon.

The next day we worked our way down along the breaksea fishing the many scattered bombies I have marked in the area. The fishing was very slow and I knew we needed to put a big effort in to try come up with the goods. The hard work started paying off with a good mixture of reefies coming over the side which included Red Emperor, Coronation Trout and some beautiful Blue Maori Cod. The hussar were thick on a few spots but we kept persisting with large baits which gave the better quality fish long enough to find the bait.

We had great shows of fish on the sounder at most spots but at times it was a struggle to lose any bait. I’m sure every fisherman has experienced this on several different occasions and simply blames the fish for being completely off the bite and shut down. I’m sure on certain occasions this is true but I believe what we see on the sounder can often give people the wrong impression of actually what type of fish is down there. This is something I have been wanting to show people for a long time and with all the underwater footage we have been collecting, it soon confirmed that a great sounder reading with massive shows of fish can be nothing but rubbish fish such as morwong, surgeon fish, bait fish and loads of small resident reef dwelling species that you would commonly see in a fish tank. We spent a considerable amount of time putting the underwater camera down on most spots and in particular the ones with great shows that weren’t biting. This confirmed that there were simply no good fish on the reef and the reason for the slow fishing.

It still turned out a great trip with some quality fish but required lots of patience and hard work to come up with the goods. We covered 400km on the water for the two days of fishing.

Unfortunately the trip home to Brisbane was one we would rather forget when we had a fatal head on crash take place right in front of us at Glenwood just north of Gympie. In a split second we saw a massive explosion in front of a truck which was heading north bound towards us. Lots of debris/dust flew through the air and the truck which was a massive fire ball turned hard right into our lane and over into a large gully on a property. Luckily we were back far enough that the truck didn’t take us out and I managed to pull up beside the truck which was fully a blaze.

The truck driver was out of the truck in a heartbeat and confirmed he was ok but had some burns. The trucks cabin was fully engulfed with flames and the trailer which was carrying fertiliser was on fire as well. The Toyota Prado in the incident was so badly damaged that we instantly feared the worst and unfortunately the driver was crushed up in the cab and killed instantly. The truck driver was air lifted to hospital with burns to his body. It was terrible to witness such a thing but we are thankful we weren’t involved and still in one piece.

Thanks heaps to all those who have purchased my latest DVD. Your support and feedback has been sensational.

Regards,
    Greg Lamprecht
    www.wickedfishing.com.au

One of the many spots we put the underwater camera down on. The line you can see the middle of the sounder reading is the underwater camera heading down to the bottom.

Checking the underwater footage of the spot we just put the camera down on. I love this part.

One of the bombies I run over at about 25 knots and then back over at sounding speed

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

Re: Breaksea Brutes and near miss in a fatal accident on the trip home.

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

Fantastic report Greg! Well done in avoiding that horrible accident. I've been there done that and there's no words to drscribe the mayhem of a serious collision like that.
    On a brighter note- Please please please do a DVD on Breaksea! To add some spice to yopur footage, bring me along and we will pop for GTs on the outside bombie!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Shame about the accident on the way home. Read the report in the paper, very sad. Great report on the fishing though mate. Keen to get up there soon and give it a crack. Was that you doing the seminar on Red Emperor at the boatshow???

Always enjoy your reports Greg. Looking forward to your talk coming up!

Well done Greg, great fish always look forward to one of your reports. Would a 5.5 met with a 115 yamaha get to any of these spots you go in good weather, or is that a bit to small for those areas. Just curious as i would like to try to get up there and have a go.

Good to see u out into the fishing reports again mate ya been quiet for a bit . Great effort and lucky for the near miss
    'JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Thanks Greg and a shame you had to witness that. What type of underwater camera are you using? thanks.

Mate,

Something like that is a bit hard to forget.. it takes a while to shake it off.

nice to see the report, looking forward to your next Vid.

Regards
    HOnda.

So sad to see an accident like that. puts things in perspective sometimes. thanks for the report and i look forward to your next vid greg.

Thanks for sharing your fishing trip Greg and an unfortunate event on the trip home. Having witnessed an event like what happened in front of you makes you more aware of others on the road and sort of shakes you up a bit. I'm looking forward to catching up with you (5th Feb) finally about fishing for reds in new country.

Cheers,
    Wags

Glad you guys are okay - always a shame to have a fatality.

The report and pics again first class.

Do like the pic of foxy with the pearlie - has he got an ear-ring and multiple studs something like gang hooks ??
    Cheers

Trev

yep good on ya showing us that we don't know how to fish again............ Glad you didn't get mixed up in the accident. It was almost out the front of our place, surprising how many accidents happen along that stretch of road......

Mark
    No such thing as a fat alcoholic, just fat piss pots...

Close call there greg good to see you boys not caught up in that carnage.Thoughts go out to that blokes family.
    Some cracking blue mauri cod there,big effort mate well done

steve

Greg the trip home was certainly something to put everything in perspective. You are very lucky not to have been caught up in it.

As for the trip, top stuff. Foxys Pearly is probably one of the best pics of a Pearly I have seen. Front cover material in my opinion.
    Hopefully a new video is on the cards soon

Cheers

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"