Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wahoo.... Am i missing something??

Re: Wahoo.... Am i missing something??

Ive always found Wahoo great eating if cooked by some of the methods described above.
    BUT I've never frozen it.
    I always put it in the category of mackerel and tailor, ie: not good after frozen. Whenever I catch these fish its always shared out and eaten fresh. Going to the trouble of NEVER getting fresh water on any saltwater fish, killing humanly, bleeding and getting in a salty ice slury ASAP is well worth the effort IMO. Also taking care to lie flat or stand fish on edge so that rigamortis sets with the fillets flat goes a long way to improving presentation and flavour. The flesh tears and goes soft when you straighten out a fish that has rigamortis set all bent up.

I had a lot of sucess freezing spanish mackeral ...but I only use sea salt water to clean...never use fresh water... and use a vac sealer to cyrovac the fillets ...and never try to straighten out a bent Mackeral ...completly tears and destroys the flesh

Interesting point on not straightening the fish.....makes sense in hindsiht...

As for freezing i will freeze and eat tailor 2 months later....luv it.. I just found wahoo very dry and lack of flake, if that makes sense..

I cant believe u just dug this up willo??? Haha