Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wahoo.... Am i missing something??

Wahoo.... Am i missing something??

Morning All

quick question... at chrissy i bagged a couple wahoo (first time), brought them home full of anticipation as it seems lots of people target them and take them home.

Is there some sort of special way of cooking this fish as the 3 feeds i have had so far (all tried cooking different ways) have tasted like shite... real dry.

can anyone enlighten me????

Cheers

Jared

Re: Wahoo.... Am i missing something??

Wahoo can be dry. I crumb and fry them in small chunks, so they cook quickly.

TM

wahoo isnt for every one you either like it or don't.... it's no reef fish thats for shore.. how big were the wahoo?? some times the bigger fish can be a bit hit and miss on eating quality. when they get to the 10kg + they can sometimes dry out a bit when cooked . the bigger fish are good in curries or thai fish cakes make shore to cut all the blood line out of wahoo as well. goes with out saying keep an eye on it and try not to over cook..may be try a feed from the other fish and see if there is any difference in taste . the wahoo ive caught this year have been some of the smallest ive caught got 6 around the 6-8 kg mark and have all been really good eating . cheers mick
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

Thanks for the replies fellas...

Both were around the 8kg mark, incredibly dry and firm but i guess the upside of that is like you said it should hold together pretty well if used in a curry.

I was talking to a bloke the other day that game fishes only and he told me the section of fillet above thje spione on the rear half of the fish is the good part.... problem is a cut it all up and bagged so i have no idea where that section may be, in saying that though i would have thought out of the 3 feeds i've now had i would of come across some of the better eating parts by now.

i might try cooking real quickly in smaller pieces as suggested.... almost out now anyway i think, i was just curious as based on the feeds i've had i wouldn't bother taking the things anymore.

Cheers Fellas

Attachment 88425

Cut the fillets very thin and drop in light beer batter then deep fry quickly. You won't recognize it as the same fish. Egg and crumb works to some extent but does nor seal as well.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

True, did batter tonight, and definitely more moist than crumbed.

mmmmm interesting... thanks for that, if i have some left i will give it a crack.

out of interest when you say thin what are we talking????

Cheers

Jared

5-10mm, thin like a fish finger

TM

Quote Originally Posted by J2DAG83 View Post
    mmmmm interesting... thanks for that, if i have some left i will give it a crack.

out of interest when you say thin what are we talking????

Cheers

Jared
    Yea, TM's on the money. keep the beer batter quite thin so it just coats the back of a spoon and keep the oil hot. Just long enough to put some colour on the batter and you will be sorted
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

If most cooked fish turns out dry...... good indication its over cooked ........Macs and Wahoo dont take long at all..

I cut some slices into it then push into these garlic butter and put into foil and barbecue on low heat.

The fish poaches in the garlic butter - impossible to be dry.

Suppose you can replace the garlic with sweet chilli if that is your thing.

I set barbie on a low heat and cook for 25 minutes then open the top of the foil and let some of the moisture out for another 5 minutes but not essential.

Perfect method to allow a couple of ales whilst it all comes together
    Cheers

Trev

Wahoo mackerel and so on dry out if cooked to long found the best way to cook is in foil in oven 12 minutes bite size pieces soy sauce butter garlic tastes awesome

Thanks heaps fellas..... i got some snapper out for dinner tonight, wishing i'd got some wahoo out now...haha

looking forward to giving a few of the above tips a crack.

Cheers

Jared

I caught my first wahoo a couple months ago too, family love it. I cook it like TREVELLY, wrapped in foil with sliced lemon, butter, parsley and seasoning, the low heat is a must or it dries out.

Jared,
    Wahoo in the 8-10kg range are superb eating provided that:
    - You bleed them immediately upon capture.
    - Put them straight on to an ice - salt water slurry and keep them there until filletting.
    - Fillet them in two halves (tail to head) and then halves again (head to tail of that fillet) as soon as you get home.
    - Side-slice then into portions - perhaps an inch thick at one end tapering to half an inch. A portion shouyld be about the size of the palm of your hand.
    - Remove the blood lines (dark red) meat with a vee-cut and discard
    - Do not rinse fillets in fresh water - add a little salt if you didn't bring home a 5 litre drum of salt water from where you caught them
    - Then, as suggested elsewhere, cut into large fish finger pieces about four inches long
    - Pat dry any unused fillets on paper towel and pop straight into plastic bags, get all the air out that you can (zip lock style bags) and pop straight into freezer
    - Put some aluminium foil on your kitchen bench, dust it lightly with Cajun spice and a little lemon thyme
    - Beat an egg in a bowl, quick dip of the finger fillet into the bowl.
    - Cook finger fillets quickly on med-high heat with just a small dollop of butter in the pan.
    - Ensure it is not cooked right through (middle will be a slight off-white color).
    - Remove from heat, light squeeze lemon juice, serve and eat
    That Jared is a sensational feed. Dryness tends to be from allowing the fish to dry out after having been caught and/or overcooking. If you use a BBQ, always put a stainless steel bowl upside down over the fish to hold in the moisture. Yep, you'll probably burn your fingers learning how to flip the bowl back properly, but it is worth it.