Thread: Family tent suggestions

Family tent suggestions

I am looking for the perfect tent, it needs to tick a fair few boxes.

Good quality, waterproof, two rooms (we've got two young kids) so the kids go to bed in dark, fast to erect for touring but comfortable enouh to live out of for a week, not massive so not a massive footprint for remote camping, under a $1000.

Looked at:
    Jet tent 25x ok but over a grand
    Blackwolf have herd of a few failures in hines and over a grand
    Bullet tent not bad good value
    Coleman easy up look cheap

Re: Family tent suggestions

Hi
    Check out oztrail and also Primus tents. primus 15x12 lodge cabin tent. Also worth a look at big w and K mart.

Cheers
    Mrs H

I do camping as part of my job and we use all different brands. Black Wolf are generally one of the better ones inc durability (and we really put them through their paces) and are quick to put up and take down normally. As for waterproof its depends upon how heavy the rain is and for significant rain events few stand the test and that's why people put tarps up over their tents which is smart if you know heavy rain is coming.

The trade off for most quick put up and down tents is they are not very tough in strong winds and I have seen brand new Kmart Oz Trail style tents get ripped to sheds in such very quickly. This is where the old school canvas solid frame tents shine such as the Terka style etc.

For average conditions though most quality brands like Primus will last and put in a good innings for you. If you don't want to spend the big bucks, just an quality brand dome tent will go up quickly for you if you know what you are doing. With 2 adults on them a 4 person dome can be put up in about 15-20 mins easy.

Mal

Blackwolf turbo lite 300 plus would get my vote. We have had one for a few years and has been good - and recent changes mean latest models are better.
    Had a couple of minor niggles with ours but really can't complain as we used it a lot. Never leaked, never looked like falling over (never went through any *extreme* weather though).

I agree the coleman instant tents look flimsy, and the jet tents look great but expensive. The blackwolf canvas ones are expensive too but I found the material ok in the lite version.

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Black Wolf...best tent I have ever owned and I have had a few...got it at a home show for less than a grand....extra rooms were extra of course...definitely worth the money and so quick to put up...like 5 mins max

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Another vote for Black Wolf Turbo Lite 300 plus. A great tent and had it up during some real nasty (Heavy rain) events, with no problems. Over four years old and think we paid in the $800 range. Good value and worth the money.

Same as anything, a bit of shopping around, will see you into a decent tent of your choosing.

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Thanks for the suggestions. Went out and looked at heaps of tents yesterday came home and had a look online at 2nd hand market found a a black wolf 300 lite plus went down to brissy and picked it up today.turbo Put it up and the family is wrapped.