Thread: 56 Reefies on the new Alexander

Cool 56 Reefies on the new Alexander

The Alexander Boys are back with a new boat and joining them on this trip was Frank the fishing machine and myself. I filled in Barry (Dayoo) who is still recovering from Kidney surgery.

It was the first fishing trip for the new boat which is a 7.6m custom built Performance Plate Boat (Barry has covered the build of the boat you can find the reports in the boating chat section.)

We headed out of Mooloolaba just before 6am in the direction of the barwon banks with only a couple area marks, with the purpose of searching for new ground. It didn't take long for Pepi to find shows and fish quickly started comming on board. We fished a mix of droppers,floaters and plastics with droppers accounting for most of the fish up until lunch time and the best fish of the morning session, 2 mauri cod at 60 and 62cm, gold spot wrase and best snapper at 68cm.

After lunch we moved to search for more new ground and we had one person on dropper and the other 3 fished plastics. Dropper continued to bring in Tuskfish, Hussar, small snapper and even a couple of small reds. Then the plastics started to fire so dropper was put away and we all had a go using just the 3 rods on a mixture of gulp plastics on Barry (Dayoo) shad jigheads in glow and natural on 2 rods and the the other rod we tested Barry's new glow undertaker jig in 2 oz on a zman 8 inch they all worked well until a small tiger shark nailed a fish half way up so we tried the new big eye jig in pink with a zman 8 inch electric chicken which accounted for my new PB snapper of 77cm.
    Frank caught the biggest snap at 80cm and the boys caught a 76cm and 75cm respectively.

We had a few more goes but brought up a couple more Snapper over 70cm that had to be released (what a strange rule with such a small bag limit) and we decided to pull up stumps at 3pm head for home. We also threw back plenty of snapper under 40cm and aj's mauries and tuskies that we all just under.

Conditions were faily sloppy all day but the boat performed so well I fell asleep on the way home travelling at around 40km/h in 1m+ slop. I have been out with a few charters and I have admired the skill of the skipper but I must say Pepi is exceptional at finding fish and woking out drift patterns, backing the boat up and anchor positioning and you take fishing for granted when he is at the helm.

This is the third boat that the boys have had built from Sam at Performance Plate Boats and the boys are very happy with it. They have owned plenty of other brands of boats and been out in plenty of mates boats over the years and the love the Performace build boats the best. I think it performs as good as it looks !

Cheers,

Brian
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	88265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	88264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	88266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	88267  

Re: 56 Reefies on the new Alexander

Well done mate great lot of fish there great way to give the new rig a good run. Had a look at it when It was down at Northside Marine and they are a great looking rig Mossy was telling me about it when he was over with Barry and he said it looks awsome now all fitted out. Good to see you guys got a feed great stuff.

Cheers Mick.
    LOVIN THE GOOD TIMES FAMILY AND FRIENDS LOVE THE SPORT TIGHT LINES PEOPLE.....

Some good snaps there Brian.
    Good to see them around in good numbers and size for this time of the year. A lot of people forget about them
    this time of year. What happened to the plate ship they only just built?
    Cheers Mick

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Nice report Brian. You and the boys cleaned me out of 1, 1.5 and 2oz jigheads this afternoon so I'll get my ass into gear and make some more tomorrow on Owner 7/0 hooks. I will post a final report on the build of "Alexander when I am emailed the latest pics.

Cheers
    Barry

top report Brian, some quality fish in the esky...

Cheers
    Brett

Mate nice catch of fish and good day had by all.It sometimes hurts throwing back big snaps over 700.Thats a nice rig to mate,im sure there will be plenty more good trips to come in it.cheers justin.

Great read Brian. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by outwide1 View Post
    Some good snaps there Brian.
    Good to see them around in good numbers and size for this time of the year. A lot of people forget about them
    this time of year. What happened to the plate ship they only just built?
    Cheers Mick
    HI Mick,

The received an offer too good to refuse on the 10m plate ship, so they sold it. They like this size better for the time being because it opens up so many fishing options like , sunny coast, fraser, 1770, bundaberg etc.

I was surprised so many reefies for Jan, just goes to show they are available all year round if you know where to look.

Cheers,

Brian

Off topic and insulting posts have been removed from this thread following complaint. Any further carrying on could result in members being removed from the forum.
    Regards

mod5

Yeah top effort there boys cheers for the report Brian. That boat is one awesome rig.
    Cheers n tight lines - Mossy

Awesome catch mate. Well done. What technique do.you use with your plastics and in what depth?

Timbo

Quote Originally Posted by TimBOO View Post
    Awesome catch mate. Well done. What technique do.you use with your plastics and in what depth?

Timbo
    Timbo,

depth was arount 60-65m. On this particular day we were using 2 oz jighead due to the current, we just cast away from the boat and as the line gets past half way down let the line run through your fingers slowing the desent of the jighead and hopefully the fish will come up and smash it before it gets to the bottom, just as you would do if you were floatlining, then close the bail arm as quickly as possible !

If you jighead makes it to the bottom work the plastic on the bottom for a bit and if still no hits hop the plastic as you slowly retrive it and if you get half way up with no hits repeat the process and if still no hits cast again in a slightly different spot.

Cheers,

Brian

Well it seems to be working. Thanks heaps for sharing... Do alot of shallow water plastics up to say 20m or so but ill definitely give it a go next time out...

Cheers
    Timbo

Very nice rig there popgun 19 , nice way to blood her on her first trip.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Redhunter View Post
    Very nice rig there popgun 19 , nice way to blood her on her first trip.

steve
    Thanks Steve, boat came through with flying colours was a bonus to get a nice little feed for our families.

Cheers,

Brian