Thread: mmm ....... donuts

mmm ....... donuts

Wanted to get some decent time on the water for the last few days of my holliday, and decided to have a look around Pt Lookout area for a change. Went out through the Junpinpin bar about midday Thursday and just outside the bar was big thick schools of whitebait. Few tuna and mackeral getting stuck into them, but I didn't hang around long. Put the lures out and trolled for about 4 hours off the pin bar, out to ther waverider (couldn't find it with my marks), behind boat rock and over to the sevens. Saw a few tuna near boat rock, but didn't turn a reel all arvo. Camped at Shag Rock, and then back into it first thing in the morning. Trolled some minnows around the sevens and around boat rock. Saw a few tuna again, but they didn't want to eat my lures. At about 6 am I decided to get serious for a marlin and put the skirts out just South of Pt Lookout and 5 minutes later I had a hi.. Small marlin which took drag for about 2 seconds but didn't hook up. Did a few laps of the area I had the hit and then trolled around boat rock and the back of flat rock for a bit. Anyway, trolled until about 11 am various places between Pt Lookout and the pin for a donut. Weather was good and was nice to be out there. Bit of chat on the radio of a few hookups from 'where you got that fish last week' or 'where we were yesterday' - probably around the Cape area I think. Spun up a couple of striped tuna outside the pin bar on the way back in for bait, so at least I turned a reel in the end.
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Re: mmm ....... donuts

mate its been a bit quiet, i was out on thursday for 5 hours of trolling north of the seaway. The wind has rolled the inshore water over i reckon. It just didnt have that nice clean blue look to it and it was 23.7. when they were thicker it was 26/26.8 and blue.
    The tuna are everywhere atm because the water is loaded with micro white bait but the bait was absent agian (the slimies and pilchards) i trolled laser pros outwider (50/60mt) and skirts inshore (25mt) and Zippo also.. very annoying hey.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Jeremy
    Thanks for the post.
    Descriptive donut reports are just as useful (and more comforting) as "bagged out" posts.
    Detailed information from others is a big help.
    cheers, Mal

PS: what was your distanced travelled & fuel used ???

Quote Originally Posted by nathank View Post
    mate its been a bit quiet, i was out on thursday for 5 hours of trolling north of the seaway. The wind has rolled the inshore water over i reckon. It just didnt have that nice clean blue look to it and it was 23.7. when they were thicker it was 26/26.8 and blue.
    The tuna are everywhere atm because the water is loaded with micro white bait but the bait was absent agian (the slimies and pilchards) i trolled laser pros outwider (50/60mt) and skirts inshore (25mt) and Zippo also.. very annoying hey.
    Yesterday at the Cape it was 26.5 and as clear as ... could easily see the bottom at 10m ... maybe too calm ??
    Mal

I did 107 nm or 199 km and used 89 litres of fuel for 13 hours running time. That is 7 litres per hour or 2.2 litres per km mostly at 7-9 knots. Not too bad for a 60 hp 4 stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I did 107 nm or 199 km and used 89 litres of fuel for 13 hours running time. That is 7 litres per hour or 2.2 litres per km mostly at 7-9 knots. Not too bad for a 60 hp 4 stroke.
    wow, that's awesome ... i did similar numbers (if you add a 1 to the front of the litres used and subtract 1 from the litres per km)

thanks, Mal

Jeremy,

Cheers for the report mate, I think i heard you log on with Jacobs well, we were out on thursday morning too, after a marlin but no success, see report http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...63#post1451063

Still came home with a feed so it wasn't all a loss i guess.

cheers,
    Leon.