Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night patrols net a fine

Night patrols net a fine

Two recreational fishers have been fined a total of $5500 in the Ingham Magistrates Court, after a tip off was received through the 24-hour Fishwatch Hotline.

The Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) district officer Graeme Broughall said this should be a reminder to fishers that patrol officers are always on the look out for illegal fishing activities.

"Anyone fishing in Queensland waters is urged to check the fishing gear rules before heading out," he said.

"After receiving the call early in the morning, QBFP officers intercepted the recreational fishers, who were attempting to retrieve the illegal fishing nets at 3.45am to avoid detection.

"The nets were set in a Dugong Protection Area, were of a size only permitted by commercial fishers and contained a number of fish and mud crabs.

"Prosecuted on 29 November 2012, the fishers were charged with possession of commercial fishing apparatus and an undersized mud crab, and fined $2750 each."

Mr Broughall said the restrictions on fishing gear were important to ensure the sustainability of Queensland's waterways.

"QBFP officers regularly patrol at all hours of the day and night to ensure fishers are complying with the rules," he said.

"For recreational fishing, there are a number of nets that are permitted for use.

"In Queensland tidal waters, recreational fishers can use seine or cast nets.

"A seine net must not exceed 16 m in length, 3 m in drop and must have a mesh size no greater than 28 mm. The net must not contain a bag, pocket or similar device.

"Cast nets must be no more than 3.7 m in length and have a maximum mesh size of 28 mm.

"For freshwater fishing, scoop or dip nets and dilly nets are permitted for use.

"A recreational scoop or dip net must not exceed 1 m in any dimension and a maximum mesh size of 25 mm.

"A recreational dilly net must have a diameter of no more than 125 cm and a maximum mesh size of 25 mm.

"Breaching these laws is a serious offence and can attract an on-the-spot fine of $1100 and a maximum penalty of $33,000.

"With significant areas to patrol, authorities rely heavily on the assistance of the community to protect our fishing resources.

"Anyone who suspects or witnesses illegal fishing activities is encouraged to report it to the 24-hour Fishwatch Hotline on 1800 017 116."

For a complete list of Queensland's recreational rules and regulations, order your copy of the Queensland Recreational Boating and Fishing Guide by calling 13 25 23 or download a copy at www.fisheries.qld.gov.au

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter

Re: Night patrols net a fine

"The Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) district officer Graeme Broughall said this should be a reminder to fishers that patrol officers are always on the look out for illegal fishing activities."

Bullshit. Early last year I called Fisheries because I was watching people taking undersized fish with a castnet, and was told "We have no Staff, it's a Public Holiday and we have no money for enforcement out of Office Hours." Granted, Anna was still our Premier, so maybe things have changed.
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Were they land based and if not why was the boat not confiscated and any fshing apparatus at the or premises including car and trailer?. If land based and the car was to be used to transport the catch why was it not confiscated??? Should be banned from ever being near the water with any fishing gear for life.

At least they were caught but ......... not enough penalty to prevent others.

They caught two guys

That part of the country it happens all the time........

Fisheries are very hesitant with regards to taking cars or boats as they have to give them back in the same condition as they took them if the magistrate says give them back and then the fun begins. Can't remember the last time a vehicle was confiscated. Hang on Weipa comes to mind- and that didn't go we'll.

To be honest they failed the idiot test in more ways then one.......

"Two recreational fishers have been fined a total of $5500 in the Ingham Magistrates Court, after a tip off was received through the 24-hour Fishwatch Hotline."

"The Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) district officer Graeme Broughall said this should be a reminder to fishers that patrol officers are always on the look out for illegal fishing activities."

On the look out? I thought they received a tip off? Im guessing most offenders are caught by 'tip-offs' and not caught red handed by fisheries themselves.
    Fisheries fines warning signs should be at every public landbased location... boat ramps, jetties etc. i cant remember seeing any at all locally.
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    Granted, Anna was still our Premier, so maybe things have changed.
    Yeah...now everyone has been sacked, so there is no-one left!

Ive called fisheries 3 times now at the rockwall at Manly for people keeping undersized Bream and flathead. For those people who do not know Manly, the fisheries office is about 60meters away from the rockwall. I was told something along the lines of "We will send people down there right away". I waited for these officers to come, and not once did I see fisheries walk down and fine them (on two occasions the blokes left before I did)

I have now given up calling the useless fisheries hotline (that is costing us taxpayers money) and have started to start using my own enforcement by kicking their buckets into the water.
    /rant

Quote Originally Posted by morphias View Post
    Yeah...now everyone has been sacked, so there is no-one left!
    Reckon maybe that's better than just paying them to sit there and do nothing, but that's a discussion for another thread eh?
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Give them a break. There is alot of water (fresh and salt) to cover across Qld so they have to rely on tip offs and responsible fishers to report people doing the wrong thing. They may not be able to get to every report immediately but at least it will probably be logged on their system. Up north many years ago all the cane farmers use to be pro fishers in the slack and then harvest cane for 6 months during the season. I bet there are alot of square hooks still sitting hidden in peoples sheds like these 2 guys that were caught. Good one for the guy/gal that dobbed on them. I don't know why others can't issue a fine like the police, martime safety, environment officers etc if they see someone doing the wrong thing.

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here is a tip off for Fisheries and a challenge to them to see if they are looking at this post they started... Do a search in the Maroochy Canals in the pontoon live "bait" holders/under floor compartments. I know a particular one has female and undersized muddies in it, getting fed up.

I don't believe in dobbing, consider it un Australian and was taught this at school age so will not name or dob this particular person in. He is also known by others.

So fisheries spokesperson if you are fair dinkum about your job that we pay u to do, please first of all respond to this and secondly tell the honest people of Ausfish what you will do about it. If nothing then maybe some of the posts about ur organisation may be close to the mark.

As an earlier posted has stated, it certainly looks like u favour the commercial fisherman over the rec fisherman by ur comments. I guess it is almost put up or shut up!

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Mr fisheries. A question if I may.
    What is the total statistical picture for fines and infringement notices given to both professional and recreational anglers since the change of Government and the 12 months before the election?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by gruntahunta View Post
    Here is a tip off for Fisheries and a challenge to them to see if they are looking at this post they started... Do a search in the Maroochy Canals in the pontoon live "bait" holders/under floor compartments. I know a particular one has female and undersized muddies in it, getting fed up.

I don't believe in dobbing, consider it un Australian and was taught this at school age so will not name or dob this particular person in. He is also known by others.

So fisheries spokesperson if you are fair dinkum about your job that we pay u to do, please first of all respond to this and secondly tell the honest people of Ausfish what you will do about it. If nothing then maybe some of the posts about ur organisation may be close to the mark.

As an earlier posted has stated, it certainly looks like u favour the commercial fisherman over the rec fisherman by ur comments. I guess it is almost put up or shut up!
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing"

Drop the helpline a quick call and report this guy who is ripping us all off. I think it is very un-Australian to protect scum like this.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

If they are not going to respond to questions and tip-offs on the forum, boot them.

I get they have increasingly limited personel and a very large area to patrol - in fact, I have wanted to get a job with them for some time, but there aren't any going and I don't see any coming up with Can Do in office.

That said, the forum isn't here for them to pat themselves on the back.

Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Todddo View Post
    Ive called fisheries 3 times now at the rockwall at Manly for people keeping undersized Bream and flathead. For those people who do not know Manly, the fisheries office is about 60meters away from the rockwall. I was told something along the lines of "We will send people down there right away". I waited for these officers to come, and not once did I see fisheries walk down and fine them (on two occasions the blokes left before I did)

I have now given up calling the useless fisheries hotline (that is costing us taxpayers money) and have started to start using my own enforcement by kicking their buckets into the water.
    /rant
    Todddo. Have passed this on to Neil Symes MP for Lytton. I was just at the Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club with him yesterday, celebrating the fact that government and the club have worked out a solution to the clubs troubles. Part of that is that leases are to be extended. Anyway, can I suggest you go to Neil if you get no response from the department next time. Regards, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Todddo View Post

/rant
    Todddo, can you tell me on what dates you made the reports? If I have the dates, i have a better chance of finding out what action, if any, was taken. And if none was taken, why not? If no action was taken, it is clearly not good enough.
    Thanks, Mark
    Mark