Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Strangest offshore rubbish?

Re: Strangest offshore rubbish?

yeah i think it drums home that you have to be watching where you're going too, i've heard that some shipping containers float 6" beneath the surface, that's scary stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    I guess it just shows how amazing currents are in the ocean. If something can float it can end up anywhere, like the pieces of concrete pontoons that finally arrived on the coast in USA a year after they were washed to sea in the tsunami in Japan.

we come across a upside down 20 ft shark cat on sunny coast which was supposed to be from fiji couple of yrs ago now. and seen a tree trunk the size of a bus out there one day. Imagine hitting either of them at night scarry shit.

supa...

We came across a Pyramid about 30cm above water out there one day. Turned out to be a shipping container, bit like an iceberg.

Found a $10 note(polymer) in a current line off Ballina one day. BOM said they were expecting some change to come through that day after lunch but we found it in the morning so they they were wrong!!

Big trees, bags of rubbish, halfa surfboards,rope,crab dillies on floats & coconuts, they make a loud bang when you hit them too.

My best find was in copeton dam, found a lure floating on the surface with line attached and pulled up a nice little Shimano baitcaster n rod all in working condition.
    Cheers, steve.

hmm isn't the law of the sea finders keepers? sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by supa29 View Post
    we come across a upside down 20 ft shark cat on sunny coast which was supposed to be from fiji couple of yrs ago now. and seen a tree trunk the size of a bus out there one day. Imagine hitting either of them at night scarry shit.

supa...

Not offshore, but I found this on the shore of Straddie down near the Pin last August.

Rod

My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

A couple of years back Reefmaster from memory found a 26 ft power cat out from Rainbow Beach.
    Turned out it had drifted from inside Moreton bay after a storm.

Cheers Dazza

Off the shore in the Evans river we found a dirty nappy in our crab pot.
    Does that count?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

That a secret recipe crab bait finga??
    Jack.

Fishing with my brother on our way to Curtain and he sees this 2 litre soft drink bottle half submerged a little way off "Should we pick it up?" he reckons. "Hell no" I says. But he had the tiller so off he goes and scoops it up.
    It turns out someone had taken a leak in it and thrown it over the side to get rid of the evidence.

He still did the right thing and binned it after we got back to shore a few hrs later.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    hmm isn't the law of the sea finders keepers? sweet.
    yeah i dont know about that mate, i heard story of half cab hitting shipping container in harvey bay one night so they towed the container and boat back and found car in it so they tried to action it to help pay fo rdamage but got pulled up by customs so i dont think so.

be good but

supa

what happened with the boat?

We have come across so many different things over the years but the best would be the Power Cat we found 60km east of Rainbow Beach which was lost 18 months prior from Days Gutter Moreton Island. I wrote an article about it which can be found here on my website. http://www.wickedfishing.com.au/2011...oreton-island/

Also for those asking, the property always remains the owners if you find it in Australian waters. I looked into that cat we found and it remained the property of the insurance company while missing. No such thing as finders keepers.

Regards
    Greg

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

G'day

Looks like the antifoul is doing a good job!

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

customs impounded it.

and didnt even offer anything in replacement.

supa

Keep your eyes peeled, the amount of rubbish floating around in the ocean after 2013 Bundaberg Flood will be overwhelming!