Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strangest offshore rubbish?

Strangest offshore rubbish?

Attachment 88226

Okay, what's the strangest offshore rubbish you've found? Mine was on Monday when we found a complete intact fluoro bulb with pipis growing on it, and a small crab. about 7nm out.

Re: Strangest offshore rubbish?

The attached organisms would be goose barnacles
    Cheers Freeeedom

I used to do volunteering work on islands in the Cap Bunker group and you'd be surprised what would show up on the beaches. Fluro bulbs would be common - covered in gooseneck barnicles, car batteries, dolphin torch covered in barnicles....and still worked.

I found an intact 250L chest freezer last year. I have also stumbeld upon a tyre and rim and a fire extinguisher last year.

I found a 90 ltr esky,long line bouys, and the good old faithfull thong,(the ones you wear on your feet).
    CHEERS AND BEERS

yeah i've seen plenty of stuff on beaches but haven't seen too much floating except for bits of plastic.. bulb was a first for me..

that's one way to get a new esky...

Quote Originally Posted by bigjudge View Post
    I found a 90 ltr esky,long line bouys, and the good old faithfull thong,(the ones you wear on your feet).
    CHEERS AND BEERS

A fairly solid tree branch floating in 450m and we found three 15kilo dollies under it last year.

didnt Muddy and the boys find a short little fat captain on a wake board heading for new zealand?

yeah i saw that, was unsure if we could call him rubbish but lol
    Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    didnt Muddy and the boys find a short little fat captain on a wake board heading for new zealand?

Found the usual bouys, floats etc but strangest would have been about a 40"+ box tv floating about 5mile offshore a couple months after yasi. Also found the hull of a paddle boat (tourist type ones you sit on and paddle with your legs) just managed to fit in the boat for the ride home as it only sat 4" above the water and would have been impossible to see at night.

This is crazy. Just last week I pulled a disused plastic drum from the water, and found hundreds of funny, eugarie-looking creatures clinging to it. Turns out they were Gooseneck Barnacles. Cheers for the heads up Freeeedom and Wags.

It is nuts what turns up out there.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko_Cairns View Post
    yeah i saw that, was unsure if we could call him rubbish but lol
    never said rubbish just strange

Fishing off Fraser a few weeks ago and something very shiny caught my eye in the water about 300 metres away, motored over too it ready to collect my treasure only to find it was an empty goon sack!! Still scooped it up and took it home for proper disposal, not burial at sea!

well...you posted it in a thread about offshore rubbish is all..
    Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    never said rubbish just strange