Thread: Good priced leader.

Good priced leader.

Hi guys,

I've tried a lot of leaders for offshore work and haven't been that amazed with their performance v price. Latest line was some berkley vanish fluorocarbon and I don't think my line got any more attention than a mate using straight mono. So I looked around and found 500m of Shogun Ice Blue 100lb mono with shipping for about $50.

I noticed that Greg from Reefari (look on Youtube) is using this mono as trace line and pulling up pretty much everything on it, so figured the fish obviously don't mind. I also noticed that his deckie tied a nice dropper and the line seemed to be pretty easy to work with.

So it arrived today and I quickly tied up a couple of rigs, first impressions are that it's nice and thin for the diameter, quite supple and ties really nicely, far better than 10x and vanish (I know they're leaders not straight mono and vanish is a fluorocarbon), so I'll be using JTpython's trick with heatshrink to protect the knot to hook segment of line as apparently it keeps the pickers from damaging the line and will see how this line goes (thanks JT).

The line doesn't have a lot of memory and should work great as a basic trace line for paternoster rigs.

Anyway I'll post some info after my first trip but 100m for about $10 seems like a good investment so far. I got it from this place:

http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/S...hing-Line.html

Cheers, Nicko.

Re: Good priced leader.

i always just use normal mono for leader offshore, do ok on it and its alot cheaper,think i am still on my 1st 300mtr spool of 30lb i use for floatlining..

I'm using Jinkai Plus in the 100/80 lb leaders and Surecatch in 100 for making my rigs and there was another brand made for raysoutdoors that worked good for me too buddy
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

one of my mates taught me heaps about fishing when i was in the torres strait, he just uses mono as a main leader line and did very well on shallow water nannygai and red emporer, so I guess it works!

good results from Schneider Kleer Line......cheap as too.
    Jack.

Been using this for a couple years at least in the 80lb, seems to work great for inshore fishing. I also use the 300lb for speargun rigging; cheap, tough and effective.

Yeah the schneider is good value. I have been using Black Magic tough trace for most of my offshore. seems to be partway between fluorocarbon and mono. Can get it on special for around $15 for 100m. Lasts a while.

I thought this was another political thread for a minute............

Quote Originally Posted by the lump View Post
    Yeah the schneider is good value. I have been using Black Magic tough trace for most of my offshore. seems to be partway between fluorocarbon and mono. Can get it on special for around $15 for 100m. Lasts a while.
    I will second the Black Magic,good gear,have had no drama's with it.
    Cheers Chris.

For the money you won't go past Schneider line 300m is the price of a roll of leader. I find it lasts as good as even better then most leaders. Easy to tie and good knot strength won't be buying anything else.