Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Estuary fishing for Flathead, Bream Whiting - Which rig

Re: Estuary fishing for Flathead, Bream Whiting - Which rig

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    I'd be going a 1-2kg or 1-3kg rod. Otherwise it will just be skull dragging them in with the target species you mentioned.
    That was a thought in the back of my mind. I will drop it down a size

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    You could also look at the quantum catalyst range of spin reels. I have a Pt20 and a pti 30 and they are as strong as an ox and will leave you with spending money for braids, jigheads, plastics etc
    I have looked at the PT20 and PTI 30. They are too heavy for what I have in mind. I am favouring reels weighing closer to 200 gms hence the carbon infused models suggested

Do yourself a favour and get a feel for the 2-4kg first, i have a 1-3kg pflueger as well as the 2-4 and its the 2-4 i always grab for my plastic flicking for bream and flathead using 3kg braid..
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmtaylor View Post
    That was a thought in the back of my mind. I will drop it down a size

I went into Tackle shop today to look at some of the gear suggested here and the salesperson was pushing pretty hard on the Revo Premier Spin reel. I tried it an it feels good but I can't find any reviews or comments on this reel.

Decision has been made. A Stradic Ci4 2500 (I find the 1000 size too small) and I will get two trions. A 1-3Kg 7' and a 2-4Kg 7' 2 piece. A spare rod is always handy for visitors. I haven't got a clue about the reel for the other rod but it will be a cheaper model than the Stradic.
    Thank you all for the advice and comments. It was very helpful.

Mate just fish as light as possible all above advice is great. Zman plastics are the best . Price , durability and success. Just make sure if you want to get a fish on there FB page you are using TT jig heads . Snobby pricks. Won't post my Coral trout.

Also mate if you want a bit of fun try small poppers in shallows for whiting.

Quote Originally Posted by jhmtaylor View Post
    I have looked at the PT20 and PTI 30. They are too heavy for what I have in mind. I am favouring reels weighing closer to 200 gms hence the carbon infused models suggested
    They do have a smaller size "10" in that range. I dont know why but i love them.
    As for not knowing what other reel to get, a few have suggested the symetre. I have a 2500 symetre on my 2-4kg trion and use it for throwing plastics. Prob my fav combo it never leaves my boat. Have a look at the berkley nanofil in 6lb too i cant fault the stuff
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

I am considering the Symetre but now that I have sorted out the fishing rig I have bigger issues to resolve like do I drag my custom made tinny (which I love) to SEQ and fit a new motor & sounder of flog it off here in the Top End.